Sign in with
Your question

Question about SSD and Intel Smart Response

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2011 4:34:08 PM

I just ordered an ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 motherboard (SATA 6GB/s supported), so I can use the Intel Smart Response Technology. I'm primarily a gamer, so the load time benefits would be awesome. I ordered a OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SATA 6GB/s SSD for it to use, and I will use my older Seagate 1TB 7200ROM SATA 3GB/s HDD as storage. Here's where I'm confused. Will the older 1TB HDD, being SATA 3GB/s, hinder the performance at all? Also, I have a 6 month old original OCZ Vertex 60GB SATA 3GB/s SSD from my older rig. Could I use it as a storage device, for maybe the OS, and still use the Intel Smart Response as well for the standard 1TB HDD? If so, would I be better to use the Vertex 3 SATA 6GB/s for the OS and the Vertex 1 SATA 3GB/s for the caching, or vice versa? Thanks for any input and suggestions!
a b å Intel
a b G Storage
December 5, 2011 5:52:56 PM

Yes you can use isrt on one ssd and have the other ssd with windows. I would have the vertex 3 with windows, you should be able to fit a couple games on it as well and cache the vertex 1. If your games don't even take 60gb you could even just straight install it on it.
m
l
December 5, 2011 6:37:45 PM

I play several games that take up lots of space, which is why I want to use the Intel Smart Response so they load 2x as fast. Starcraft 2, Star Wars: TOR, Battlefield 3, and several Steam games which I don't think I can choose their install locations. So for best results, use the Vertex 3 as the OS drive, and the original Vertex as the ISRT caching?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2011 5:20:06 AM

Solved my own question. To anyone out there with multiple SSD's and a standard HDD, you can cache the HDD with your slower SSD and dramatically increase that HDD's performance, while still booting normally with a dedicated OS SSD.
m
l
!