Will I have a bottleneck with the HD5770?

G

Hello.
I want to upgrade my graphic card to the hd5770.
my cpu is amd athlon ii x4 620 2.61 ghz.
19 inch screen 1280*1024.

some people told me it will be just fine, and there were others who said i will a bottleneck (someone said he has the 5770 card and Q6600 @3Ghz after OC and he has a bottleneck)

I wanted to assure before I buy it that I wont have any problems such as bottleneck, and it will run games smoothly with my cpu for a good period of time.

Are my cpu and HD5770 a good combination?

Would you buy this card if you were in my place? (having the same cpu)

Thanks.

G

So most of the time it will be ok? even if sometimes it will bottleneck will it be noticeable and affect the gameplay?

swifty i understand what you say, but the hd5770 seems like a great choice.
and I want to assure if my cpu and this card are a good combination and I wont have any problems.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

You would never buy a card with a 128-bit mem interface?
Mayhaps you should read Guru3d & Tom's reviews & reconsider.

GDDR5's a far cry from GDDR3.

Well, I guess if you wanted me to build YOU a computer I would because you don't know the difference from one card to the next.

damien12g

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hello.
I want to upgrade my graphic card to the hd5770.
my cpu is amd athlon ii x4 620 2.61 ghz.
19 inch screen 1280*1024.

some people told me it will be just fine, and there were others who said i will a bottleneck (someone said he has the 5770 card and Q6600 @3Ghz after OC and he has a bottleneck)

I wanted to assure before I buy it that I wont have any problems such as bottleneck, and it will run games smoothly with my cpu for a good period of time.

Are my cpu and HD5770 a good combination?

Would you buy this card if you were in my place? (having the same cpu)

Thanks.

i have an HD 4770, runs just fine...key word fine. Save your cash and get a 5800 series...the 5700 looks like a waste. The 5770 is not much fast than my last generation card. Or x-fire them...

G

I dont have money for the 58xx and I think I will get a bottleneck.

Please pay attention to my original question : will my athlon x4 620 2.61ghz bottleneck the hd5770 card? or are they a good combination together? would you buy it if you were instead and not worry about any problems, bottleneck etc..? (with the same cpu of course).

it's just when I buy something I have to check even more than twice to be 100% sure its the right decision.

glaex

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
the short answer is no it wont.

in some older/current games that aren't optimized for more than 2 cores and very ghz dependant it might get you lower frames than a higher clocked duel core but you wont notice because you will already be at more than playable frame rates. newer/future games are going to optimized for quad cores so you will fine there. the athlon ii's are only like 10% slower than phenom iis, and you can overclock that 620 to 3.25ghz or 3.5ghz if you spend ~$25 on an aftermarket cooler

G

Alright thanks, I think I will go for the hd5770 I just hope it wont get dated too fast :S

someone told me he has a Q6600 cpu @3ghz after OC and he has a bottleneck with the 5770.

he also told me I will have a BIG bottleneck on my athlon ii x4 620 using the hd5770.

you think he knows what he is talking about? does it make any sense?

glaex

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
there are some titles that are always going to be bottlenecked by the cpu, it all depends on how the game is coded. anyway the q6600 and the 620 are about the same performance wise, the 620 is actually probably a little faster if anything. that combo will get you get let you play anything out now and for the next few years, especially if you overclock so buy without hesitation imo, and read up on overclocking because both the q6600 and the athlon ii x4's really only shine when overclocked

G

Well I spoke with that guy with the Q6600 again and he says I will run crysis/gtaiv on med on my resolution?
I was like WTH? no way I'm going to be satisfied with MED quality with such an expensive card.

What do you think? this guy knows what he is talking about?

You could play Crysis on High at 1650x1080 (Ocing the CPU would do wonders!)

My old system was a 4870 512mb and a C2D E8400 @ 4.5ghz and that could play crysis on High at 1920x1080, so im sure your PC will do just fine.

BTW the 5770 isn't really an expensive card, kind of average, you can spend £500+ on a graphics card. (if you had the money of course)

G

Yeah but you know what I'm saying... it's expensive enough to at least run games higher than MED.

But will I be fine playing high on heavy games&v.high on other games with OCing my cpu?
Is this guy with the Q6600 misleading me?

(and I'm running games on 1280*1024 19 inch monitor, and I have the stock cooler and my cpu is new so I dont think OCing is a good idea but im not experienced with ocing...)

You'd need to be rich to play Crysis on Max, Do not judge your PC's performance with Crysis.

You'll be just fine playing games on High settings at that resolution. Even whithout OCing your CPU

Your CPU will bottleneck, but you'll be getting really high framerates that it won't matter.

Bottlenecks happen all the time, just dnt worry about it.

G

Well thank you.

Yeah I know, even running crysis at high is more than good for me.

I would like to know if the bottleneck will be noticeable, and will affect my gameplay.

will I be able to run gta iv at high or even v.high? (1280*1024 res)
will it give me high performance for a pretty long period of time? even when dx 11 games will be released?

if you were in my place, would you buy the hd5770?

Be nice to know what opsys you're running....unless I missed it. You obviously have your mind set on the 5770 and that's ok.... really. Go ahead and buy it. After using it for a while you'll either except what you have and pat yourself on the back or you'll want to boot yourself in the rear because it fails you in some way. Happened to me a few times. I got over it. Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you.... to you all.

The lower the resolution the more frames per second you get, There will come a point where the CPU will not be able to keep up with the GPU, In your case the frames per second will be way more than playable that you wont notice it at all

Example, You may get 60+ FPS before your CPU starts to struggle.

GTA loves VRAM (video memory) and the HD5770 has 1GB which is more than enough for your resolution, You shouldn't have a problem playing on high settings. But maybe not with AA

DX11 looks like it hits performance pretty hard. (have a look at some Dirt 2 DX11 vs DX9 comparisions). Its a bit hard to prodict the future, but it still remains a smart move to buy the latest tech.

Depending on what motherboard you have, you could crossfire 2 HD5770's in the future for increased performance Although the CPU bottleneck will hurt performance unless you Overclock your CPU.

(Also for crossfire you'd need a quality 600W+ PSU)

G

Yup, when I bought my computer I never thought about crossfire so I wont be able to do it (Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H) and it was 2 weeks ago :D

I kept an old graphic card because I didnt know which one to buy.

So the HD5770 is an overall good decision for me, and it will work good with my cpu and it will run future games with high performance? would you buy it if you were in my place?
Well you helped me alot.

Yes it will run future games with high performance (in DX9/10 mode) I cant tell you whether or not it will handle DX11 good or not.

If I were in your place, I'd buy a Beefy CPU cooler and OC that 620 within an inch of its life. (If your limited to a tight budget) Yes I would buy a HD5770, as it performs well, uses very little power and has DX11 support.

If you have some money spare then I'd recommend a good air cooler for your CPU like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Spend some time reading and learning about Overclocking if you don't know what your doing. and Overclock that 620. You'll see some impressive gains. Obviously its completely up to you.

Now time to stop worrying about bottlenecks and whatever, Time to buy and play some games :D I'm sure you'll be very happy with a HD5770.

Merry X-mas and a Happy new year =]

G

hehe thanks :)

That 120 extreme is pretty expensive, would an Arctic cooler freezer 7 do the job?

and about overcloking - will it harm the cpu or shorten it's lifetime? (using a good cooler and proper OC)

Happy new year to you too ;]

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
A good Cooler and safe OC will still lower your CPUs overall life, but chances are good, if you are responsible, that you would upgrade long before it died anyhow.

The freezer 7 would do for very mild OCing, maybe to 3ghz.

OCing does effect the lifespam of the CPU, but it depends on how much Voltage you put through the CPU and what tempurature your CPU is at when under heavy continuous load.

Each type of CPU has recommended limits set by the manufacturer

Example: "Max safe Voltage: 1.3625V" meaning that they advise you not to exceed that voltage.

Unfortunately I don;t have the Time, Patience or Will power to walk you through the dangers of Overclocking and how you need to go about it.

Theres some Stickies at the top of the "Overclocking" section of Tomshardware. That would be a good place to start learning about what you need to do, If you want to. If your interested in Overclocking you NEED to do your own research.

I've owned the Freezer 7 before now and it did an OK job at cooling my old E8400, but it really doesn't compare to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Its deffinately worth the money IMO.

This is a Very good cooler and is cheaper than the TRUE.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-029-CM&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

Hope that helps.

I thought that too when these first came out, I saw the 128bit memory buss and instantly went "bah!, junk, why? stupid!"
But as I read more about them, I guess that the GDDR5 memory makes up for this quite nicely, especially when you see the performance you actually get for the price on these things. I am thinking about buying 2 of them for Crossfire myself.
Believe me, I was one of those guys that praised the 8800GTX and the huge bandwidth it had for a long, long time.