Solved

Socket 754 compatibility?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Compatibility
  • Socket
Last response: in Motherboards
July 15, 2010 6:03:31 PM

Hi, my friend has an HP desktop that died during a surge and I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard that's gone bad.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

This is the motherboard specs for the particular model (Pavilion a1203w) and I see that the socket is something I cannot find on newegg at all. So I'm wondering what kind of socket is compatible today?

Thanks all

EDIT: I just got the heatsink off and the processor is an AMD Sempron so that should be compatible with AM2 right?

More about : socket 754 compatibility

Best solution

a c 1185 V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 11:20:11 AM

The cheap option is a used socket 754 board of ebay or other similar source. Socket 754 semprons do not fit any other socket! The ram is DDR and wont fit in a DDR2 slot. If he had a discrete GPU it is going to be AGP which wont fit a PCIe slot.
The best option is an upgrade to something newer, mATX mobo(with integrated gpu), athlonII and ram combination's can be had cheap and reuse drives and case if fits.
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 11:54:04 AM

Socket 754 was phased out awhile back and is getting harder to find since it is pretty old tech and the cost to replace a socket 754 MOBO is not really worth it - since it is also getting hard to find DDR RAM, AGP Video cards, etc. and the price\performance is much better on PCI-e and DDR2 or DDR3 RAM.

You'd be better off getting a new system than spending the $ to repair that one but ig you want to fix it try looking on some of the used sites for a cheap MOBO that someone is no longer using or find a local mom and pop computer shop that has some old used stuff they would sell cheap.
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 1:02:18 PM

Your hp motherboard is available on ebay for $41.99 plus shipping right now. The seller's name is digital anny. Unless you get the exact same board, your windows operating system won't work. You can bid on this board or others. You can also check for socket 939 combo deals to use with your old ddr ram.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 2:27:43 PM

o1die said:
Your hp motherboard is available on ebay for $41.99 plus shipping right now. The seller's name is digital anny. Unless you get the exact same board, your windows operating system won't work. You can bid on this board or others. You can also check for socket 939 combo deals to use with your old ddr ram.

Actually in most cases even if the OS is OEM if you need to swap the MOBO a simple call to MS support will get you a new activation code with the new MOBO (Even if the OEM version states it is tied to the MOBO, MS support will help get it reactivated if you have to replace the MOBO due to it becoming unuseable (I've done this many times and never had a problem with reactivation - If you do need to talk to a rep (most times just the phone activation by itself will work without the need to talk to anyone) then just explain to them that the MOBO died and they will help you get it reactivated)
m
l
July 16, 2010 3:23:03 PM

Ah, Thanks guys. I had ordered an AM2 socket motherboard because I read somewhere that it was compatible with sempron but I guess the old 754 pin isn't legit anymore ;)  Thank you guys for the info and the links to ebay! I hadn't even checked eBay haha.
m
l
July 23, 2010 12:10:16 AM

Best answer selected by mydog12.
m
l
!