Sign in with
Your question

External/Main Drive

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2011 5:37:42 PM

With the huge increase in price for most HDDs, i've decided that i would like to use my 2Tb external hard drive as my main drive for the time being until the prices come down. Is this a good idea? or even possible for that matter? I refuse to pay 200 bucks for a 1tb internal hard drive.

I also have an 64gb SSD i plan on using for the operating system and a few games. Any tips on using the external? Thanks!!

More about : external main drive

December 5, 2011 5:43:17 PM

inside your "external" drive is an "internal" drive... pop it out and pop it into your system and voila
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:44:09 PM

really? would it be able to reconvert into a external? Like put it back into the case after i purchase the HDD when the prices come down?
slhpss said:
inside your "external" drive is an "internal" drive... pop it out and pop it into your system and voila

m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2011 5:49:11 PM

basically the external case has hookups just like inside your case wrapped up in a little box with a power cube... you should have no problem swapping them back and forth... usually external drives are cheaper than one you would normally put in your pc though (5400 rpm vs 7200+ rpm drives), but that won't cause any noticeable issues... just disk acess/ write / read times will be lower on average
m
l
December 5, 2011 5:49:45 PM

I found out recently that not all external HDDs contain internal HDDs with an adapter. All the ones I have are built that way, but some of the slim external HDDs use special drives.

You may want to google your specific model and see if someone else already popped it apart.

As for your second question. If it is an internal drive in an enclosure, then yes you can put any internal drive back in and it will become external.
m
l
December 5, 2011 6:01:44 PM

My model is the Seagate FreeAgent 2Tb
m
l
December 5, 2011 6:06:14 PM

Fatanarexic said:
My model is the Seagate FreeAgent 2Tb

that should be a normal 3.5" desktop hdd inside there... just be careful about the teardown... some of the external cases are screw free and require careful separation so as not to break little plastic tabs

looks like the internal drive for the 1 tb version is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12... not a bad drive maybe the 2 tb version has a 7200rpm barracuda as well.
m
l
December 5, 2011 6:09:44 PM

nordlead said:
I found out recently that not all external HDDs contain internal HDDs with an adapter. All the ones I have are built that way, but some of the slim external HDDs use special drives.

You may want to google your specific model and see if someone else already popped it apart.

As for your second question. If it is an internal drive in an enclosure, then yes you can put any internal drive back in and it will become external.

now you got me curious... you know which makes/models in particular are like this?
m
l
December 5, 2011 6:58:13 PM

The Samsung S2 & G2 are the only ones I know of. They have no SATA connectors and go straight from USB to HDD.

here is a picture of the S2 (I believe)
m
l
December 5, 2011 7:25:02 PM

it was the best one I could find. There were two other views, but they weren't much better.
m
l
December 5, 2011 7:34:40 PM

nordlead said:
it was the best one I could find. There were two other views, but they weren't much better.

forgot my sarcasm tags... that picture is huge... but thank you for bringing that to my attention it certainly is an odd piece of hardware... but that is limited to laptop sized drives?
m
l
!