Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Will my motherboard work with this case and psu?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Cases
  • Inspiron
Last response: in Motherboards
July 15, 2010 7:21:43 PM

I currently have a dell inspiron 530s. According to wikipedia, all inspiron 530s models have the same motherboard which is also used in the normal inspiron 530. the motherboard is called, Foxconn G33m02 mATX. Will this motherboard let me use an ATX power supply or am I restricted to microATX?

I have found a microATX case with a 650w PSU. Heres the link. It says in the specs that it allows standard micro atx/baby at and that the motherboard space is up to 9.6" x 9.6".

More about : motherboard work case psu

July 15, 2010 7:42:31 PM

from what i read it appears that dell ised a standard form mother board ie micro-atx... however your powersupply is another story. they had them made for the case and as such you cannot get a replacment for that case anywhere but dell , so yes if you wanna upgrade and wanna put in any decent hardware the 250watt psu you have now will likely not cut it, the case you linked looks pretty good and 650 watts is plenty for most applications
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2010 7:54:28 PM

To put it into a better perspective, if you put that motherboard into the new case, it will fit and the power supply will work with the motherboard.

Even if you got a mid-size case, that motherboard would fit and a regular ATX power supply would work as well.

the keyword here is "ATX" any power supply with "ATX" will work with any motherboard that ends in "ATX" (some restrictions apply)

Quote below to help as well:

Backward-compatibility

microATX was explicitly designed to be backward-compatible with ATX. The mounting points of microATX motherboards are a subset of those used on full-size ATX boards, and the I/O panel is identical. Thus, microATX motherboards can be used in full-size ATX cases. Furthermore, most microATX motherboards generally use the same power connectors as ATX motherboards,[6] thus permitting the use of full-size ATX power supplies with microATX boards.

microATX boards often use the same chipsets (northbridges and southbridges) as full-size ATX boards, allowing them to use many of the same components. However, since microATX cases are typically much smaller than ATX cases, they usually have fewer expansion slots.
July 15, 2010 8:59:22 PM

wow thanks for the help guys. I saw alot of stuff on the internet about how dell locks their systems so I was worried I wouldn't be able to upgrade it, but it looks like that was the dell systems in the past. I'm a bit confused that the motherboard is mATX but the power supply used with the 530s is a bestec TFX power supply.

I'm going to use it for gaming and my processor atm is a dual core E4500 @2.2ghz. I might overclock this processor so that it doesn't bottleneck the gpu. How much watts would you say is the minimum I should look for?