Hi. I have this rig for gaming.

cpu: q6600 oc at 3.0
mobo: evga 650i ultra
gpu: evga gtx 260 core 216
ram: ocz 4gb
psu: corsair tx650w
case: cm haf932

I'm gaming at 1680x1050 (22 inch)

planning to upgrade when the i7 930 comes out next year.
I plan to go i7 (x58). If I would upgrade my gpu, im planning to go with 5870 or fermi when it comes out.

Should I just upgrade cpu, mobo and ram first and stay with the gtx 260 216 at the moment or upgrade the gpu first then the cpu, ram and mobo?
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade only
  1. It is a personal choice. Your system is pretty good on both CPU and GPU side for the resolution you are playing at.
  2. if it were you people, would you upgrade to i7 930 first before upgrading the gtx 260 216? or the other way around?
  3. IMO, you must upgrade both, CPU and GPU at the same time. If you upgrade your CPU, the GPU could be a bootleneck for the CPU and in the same way if you upgrade your GPU first.
  4. With that size monitor, you won't need to upgrade if your main PC needs are gaming. But if you must, get the GPU first since it's easier than going with a new mobo and CPU.
  5. "I'm gaming at 1680x1050 (22 inch)"

Don`t bother upgrading soo soon, your PC is perfectly fine with that resolution.
  6. I would do the I7 first since the GTX260 handles your resolution well
  7. You don't honestly need to upgrade right now. Although GTX 260 Core 216 would be easier. Q6600 + GTX260 216 is fine.
  8. No, keep your cpu and upgrade your GPU later to a 5850 if you really feel you need to. You can even wait a good year before purchasing anything.

Still, I would save my money if I were you and built an entire new PC in 3 years. Games are still made for the 360, so they will still be fairly easy to play with a GTX260.
  9. First, tell us why you need to upgrade? In order for us to give you a good answer, you need to tell us what the problem is? Upgrading just to be upgrading is not enough info for anyone to give you an answer. If you are doing that, you need the i7, and you need 2 -5870's.
    So......what is the problem that makes you want to upgrade?
  10. well, i'm upgrading just to make my rig more futureproof. I think the lga775 is taking its age now and needs to be replaced by i7. I'm not doing any video encoding, just plain gaming. I just want pure power for my cpu (don't mind the bottleneck of the gtx 260 because I plan to upgrade it too when the new cards go down on prices, whether fermi comes out or not.)

upgrades:
    budget: $400

so its either going i7 first

or

gpu first, 5870.
  11. john_antonio said:
    well, i'm upgrading just to make my rig more futureproof. I think the lga775 is taking its age now and needs to be replaced by i7. I'm not doing any video encoding, just plain gaming. I just want pure power for my cpu (don't mind the bottleneck of the gtx 260 because I plan to upgrade it too when the new cards go down on prices, whether fermi comes out or not.)

upgrades:
    budget: $400

so its either going i7 first

or

gpu first, 5870.

-------------------------------

Why you don't wait a little more till the Q1 of 2010? The next year comes out fermi, the X6 of AMD and the i9 of Intel, and the prices of the current processor like the X4, i5 and i7 could come down.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs RAM CPUs EVGA Systems