Rate My Build - First Time Builder

Tangerine

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Can you please rate my new build? Tell me if everything fits, and if there is any known problems with the parts.
Thanks!
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite NV-334-KWN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Graphics: SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS...

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

I do not think i need a cooler, because i don't plan on OCing very much (maybe the graphics card), and I do not need an Optical drive. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Again, tahnks. Any tips on parts that i'm missing would be good too

EDIT: I forgot to add, this computer is built for future proofing, and general use at home. I want to be able to play most computer games, but i do not need to go too far. I want reliability and durability

Solution
Consider this Combo , and I think the Asus board comes with 3 years warranty, which is a big plus (rather than 1 year with the chosen Gigabyte). The memory is tiny bit slower. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.308218

Overclocking the CPU will give you a big performance boost; I’m not sure how good the supplied fan is for moderate overclocking, others can give you better answers. Overclocking the GPU should give 10%+ performance increase.

Well you can do without an optical drive,you can use usb flash drive or harddrive for OS installations.

Tangerine

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
hmm, other than used for installing microsoft office (which is banned from being sold anyways), and maybe installing the OS, are there any other uses for the Optical drive?

I'm planning on using open office anyways, and i don't plan on installing any disk games (just using steam right now). I'll get MSFT office and the OS on through an external optical drive if I have to.

About OCing, how much do you think i can OC parts of this without needing a cooler? If I OC, i know it takes more energy and gets hotter, but does it make it louder as well? Which parts of my build do you recommend to OC the most?

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Consider this Combo , and I think the Asus board comes with 3 years warranty, which is a big plus (rather than 1 year with the chosen Gigabyte). The memory is tiny bit slower. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.308218

Overclocking the CPU will give you a big performance boost; I’m not sure how good the supplied fan is for moderate overclocking, others can give you better answers. Overclocking the GPU should give 10%+ performance increase.

Well you can do without an optical drive,you can use usb flash drive or harddrive for OS installations.

Solution

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
About OCing on stock cooler, I have an original Phenom x3 on a stock cooler, and I can push it 10-15% with my case open, depending on load. Not sure how well this translates to Phenom II and higher clock parts, but good luck and merry Christmas!

Edit: FYI my processor is clocked at 2.1G lol. Might be somewhat underclocked.