Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

OCZ onyx 32gb for w7 only

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 5, 2011 7:54:58 PM

Thinking about picking 1 of these up for a Xmas present for my brother. Can't afford much but this one is $59.99 on newegg. Does anyone have any input on these onyx series? I have a vertex II 64gb for w7 & I love it. Once installed I'm guessing he'd have about 8gb for storage but Im thinking that should be plenty for a desktop boot drive. No?

More about : ocz onyx 32gb

a b G Storage
December 5, 2011 8:54:19 PM

I would not do this after about 6 months of Windows updates it would be maxxed out and there would not really be anything to remove to fix the issue I would not go less than 64 but as you say it would fit but I think it would become very annoying very fast. Just my opinion..

Thent
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 5, 2011 8:55:54 PM

32GB - he will have about 12-15 gigs left over after a fresh W7 installl (W7 takes about 15 gb - 20GB). Depending on installation.

It would make a very nice boot device.

I can't for sure say how the Onyx series is as I have a vertex 2 120GB and it's been good to me.

But yeah - thats a nice present. At 60 bucks what could go wrong? At the worst he would have to RMA it - and at the best - well he will save a boat load of time when restarting/starting up programs.

I would say go for it :) 
Share
Related resources
December 5, 2011 9:04:15 PM

thently said:
I would not do this after about 6 months of Windows updates it would be maxxed out and there would not really be anything to remove to fix the issue I would not go less than 64 but as you say it would fit but I think it would become very annoying very fast. Just my opinion..

Thent



I just thought it'd be a cool xmas gift for him and let him deal with the mess lol

Seriously though, I'm not sure what else he would put on it. He basically games on the pc, maybe a little video editting but I doubt he even does that anymore. I guess that after updates etc, it's a tight squeeze & 32gb is barely any room.
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 9:06:21 PM

Chainzsaw said:
32GB - he will have about 12-15 gigs left over after a fresh W7 installl (W7 takes about 15 gb - 20GB). Depending on installation.

It would make a very nice boot device.

I can't for sure say how the Onyx series is as I have a vertex 2 120GB and it's been good to me.

But yeah - thats a nice present. At 60 bucks what could go wrong? At the worst he would have to RMA it - and at the best - well he will save a boat load of time when restarting/starting up programs.

I would say go for it :) 



I think @ $60 it may be a cool present for him. At least it'll introduce him to ssd's as I've been trying to convince him to try one out. If he likes the performance and wants to upgrade it then that's on him.
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 9:28:46 PM

Best answer selected by thestrangebrew.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 5, 2011 9:38:25 PM

thestrangebrew said:
I think @ $60 it may be a cool present for him. At least it'll introduce him to ssd's as I've been trying to convince him to try one out. If he likes the performance and wants to upgrade it then that's on him.


Hehe, if I received an SSD for a present i would think that's pretty awesome (if I didn't have one already).

If you want a little in depth info about that SSD check this article out:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3756/2010-value-ssd-100-r...

I trust this website as much as I trust Toms. So IMO it is reliable. 32GB Onyx

126MB Reads

67MB writes

37MB 4KB random reads
7.9MB Random write
m
0
l
!