Asking for trouble-Solution to water cooling dual 4850X2

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Asking for trouble-Solution to water cooling dual 4850X2's. I was hoping to find a single block/plate that would cover and cool both chips on each card, but no such luck. I guess my only option is to us a water block for each chip on both cards. That being said, what would be the best block for my application. I'll probably be using 1/2 tubing as I will also be cooling the CPU and the NB and will be going for a high flow system. Thanks in advance for ANY advice people can give for my setup.

Solution
There are 4850x2 waterblock that were made, but they're rare and hard to find. I would try some of the watercooling forums (Anandtech, Hardforum, Overclockers.net) to see if you can find one. These are your best chances to find one, since people on these forums tend to keep this sort of stuff.
There are 4850x2 waterblock that were made, but they're rare and hard to find. I would try some of the watercooling forums (Anandtech, Hardforum, Overclockers.net) to see if you can find one. These are your best chances to find one, since people on these forums tend to keep this sort of stuff.

Solution

A very common sense solution from bradhchen. ^^^

The only real functional purpose of liquid cooling is to be able to overclock the gpu and cpu a bit higher.
Comparing the cost of good liquid cooling with the cost of simply buying faster parts might alter your direction.

Also, a 4 way gpu of lower class gpu's will be more prone to microstuttering.
Read this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Some very good responses, thank you all. Upgrading to a high end card would be nice, but I'll save that thought for a new build, but thank you. Yes it would make since money wise not to water cool, but this build is old school and I'm just seeing what I can do with it, I've thought about liquid cooling it for for awhile. Very, very good article on microstuttering, gave me a lot to think about that I hadn't considered before. Thank You! Think I'm going with boiler1990, simple and direct answer to my question to "Solution to water cooling dual 4850X2's.". Thanks everyone.

PS. I P/U both cards for a total of $140