Brand New PC Shutting off with games

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Alright, brand new pc( turned on for the first time today) is shutting off after playing far cry 2 for about 5 minutes. Now i cant even install any other games, and the computer is shutting down with a heavy load. Apparently the random shut downs have corrupted windows 7, and now the OS(windows 7 64bit) wont even come on. I called cyber power, and they are blaming the power supply, saying it is not enough. They are basing this claim on the fact that i updated i5 750 to an i7 860, i used an extreme overclock, updated the video card from a 5770, and the added HDD. They claim i need 800w to run everything. Im worried thats bulls**t, but what do i know. However there are alot of demanding components.

CPU: i7 860 2.8GHZ with 30% overclock
GPU: ATI radeon 5850
Mobo: Gigabyte P55 ud3
Astek Liquid Cooling
HDD: Raid 0 500gb X2 with two identical hard drives
RAM: 4gb (2gbx2) A-Data gaming serious DDR@ 1600
PCU: Apevia 700watt power supply

Any help would be awesome indeed!!

Solution
Apevia PSUs are fecal; when jonnyguru reviews them, most of them melt or blow electronic chunks when loaded. A quality 550W PSU from Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic would run your rig just fine.

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
corsiar.
Yea the temps were fine, i have a full digital temp/fan control display on the front of the case(i paid alot for this crap). nothing went above 40C, but now since the OS is waxed i cant even check it again. Im just sending the whole dam thing back to cyber power. For the money i spent i want a brand new PC with NO PROBLEMS. I should have done my homework on the PSU, i did well on searching all the other components.

Im going for a 750W corsiar, Good choice??

PS: i talked to the guy a cyberpower and i sent FARCRY 2 back with it, I told him i want all the components rechecked or not to send it back to me at all...

crispy7

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I understand the screw up(allthough should have been caught by cyberpower) and i have sent it back today. After researching and listening to everyone i feel like i tried to put unleaded gas in my space shuttle haha.