5970 issues. only picking up 1 GPU

jblancarte

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
hi, i'm having problems with my 5970. recently my desktop screen has been bugging out horribly, i mean i see all these colors shoot out from seemingly no where, then i can't touch anything on my screen, and then after a minute or so, i always get a message saying "my video card drivers have crashed and successfully recovered." I decided to just deal with it until the new drivers come out, because like everybody said, it'll eventually get better when the new drivers come out, but now, according to my amd overdrive. my graphics card has only one GPU running. the other one has no voltage reading at all. before it was able to read both. needless to say i'm pretty worried about this. anyone out there know the reason i'm having this problem? i PRAY that it isn't as serious as it looks.

Solution
I found this! It fixed the crashes so far..

Here is the workaround:

Open CCC and switch to ATI Overdrive
Unlock and enable Overdrive
Go to Options/Profiles/Profile Manager and create a new profile called, let's say, STABLE.
Save the new profile. But DO NOT ACTIVATE the profile.
Now go to C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles folder ( I assume C: is your system drive )
Note: You should have " show hidden files " turned on to see the folder.
Open the .xml file named STABLE with notepad.
Change the values of the idle Core clock and Memory clock speeds below

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="40000" note: previous value should be "15700"

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"...

olbas

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I found this! It fixed the crashes so far..

Here is the workaround:

Open CCC and switch to ATI Overdrive
Unlock and enable Overdrive
Go to Options/Profiles/Profile Manager and create a new profile called, let's say, STABLE.
Save the new profile. But DO NOT ACTIVATE the profile.
Now go to C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles folder ( I assume C: is your system drive )
Note: You should have " show hidden files " turned on to see the folder.
Open the .xml file named STABLE with notepad.
Change the values of the idle Core clock and Memory clock speeds below

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="40000" note: previous value should be "15700"

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="90000" note: previous value should be "30000"
Save the file and close it.
Go back to CCC and activate the profile. This will make the card idle at 400 MHz core clock and 900 MHz memory clock.

The speed change is immediate. You can see the speeds onder CCC Overdrive section.

Please note this change increases graphic card temperature by 6 to 7 degrees C at idle.

Those having issues under load,such as gaming, should not need this workaround.

Hope above helps.

But I'm still concerned about how one of the GPU's seem to be inactive when I look in "ATI Overdrive" in Catalyst control center.. One is normal and the other 0 temperature and 0 activity!

Solution

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
But I'm still concerned about how one of the GPU's seem to be inactive when I look in "ATI Overdrive" in Catalyst control center.. One is normal and the other 0 temperature and 0 activity!

Go to start>regedit>edit>find...>enableulps>right click>modify>change "1" to "0">close>reboot

Good luck.

olbas

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Ok, I installed "afterburner" And there I can see that the second "slave" GPU IS active and taking it's share of the workload, though not as much as the primary, but I guess that is normal!

so thank you for clearing that up for me, I was worried I had to send the card back after waiting for it for over 2 months!

Cheers!!