Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DOA mother board?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2010 12:50:34 AM

i recently hooked up everything to my computer and when i try to turn it on it wont even budge. I know its not the PSu because i used my roommates as well and it didnt even turn on. Then i realized maybe its the motherboard? i plggued in everything and when i take a look inside the lights are not even turn on no orange light close to the cpu or on the ethernet socket. Please help this is so fustrating is it the mtoherboard?

More about : doa mother board

a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 12:56:08 AM

Did you install the standoffs correctly ? - If the case standoffs are not lined up properly with the MOBO they can either touch a solder point on the MOBO causing a short - or not support the MOBO causing it to touch the case and short - Either of which will cause that sort of problem --- Also check to make sure you didn't drop a loose screw between the MOBO and case which would do the same !
m
l
July 16, 2010 1:15:03 AM

yes i lined up all the standoff with the motherboard
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 1:25:46 AM

Your main problem is: you 'shoveled' it all into the case... Now, you're faced with a strip-down, to get to some 'known' basic operation, and then build on it...

Mind you, there are two ways to do this: you can do it either in or out of the case. The advantages and drawbacks:in the case is easier and faster, but will not find case-related problems, like shorts from extra, mispositioned standoffs, or ground plane problems; out of the case takes longer, and you may run into 'reach' problems - power supply cables and front panel power switch headers may not be long enough; for the power supply, it's usually just a matter of removing four screws to temorarily relocate it; for the power switch, you can just do this (very carefully):

You only need to short the pins momentarily - that's all the power switch does...Out of the case also affords you an easy opportunity to 'flip' the board to check your heatsink/fan attachment setup, to be sure all the pins are fully seated, locked, and not cracked... If you do the out of the case, you need to lay the board on a non-conductive surface: the box the MOBO came in is ideal, someone recently suggested a phone book which is excellent; but - the foam pad it came with, and the bag it was in are not - being 'antistat', they are somewhat conductive, and may induce problems...

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch (or shorting the 'power' pins...)
If you get video, enter BIOS, check that everything looks good...
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...
July 23, 2010 2:25:24 AM

Best answer selected by silvergo.
m
l
!