New build very, very unstable...

Tagget

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I have just built a new PC and it is extremely unstable with multiple BSODs, restarts and poor performance.

Problems I'm having;
■BSOD mentioning ntosknl.exe page fault in non paged area.
■BSOD mentioning memory management
■BSOD mentioning IRQL not less than
■Crysis runs so slow that I have to turn the detail down to low so it looks like a game from 1999 - even this does not help. After a while I have to quit (if a BSOD hasn't already occurred) because my PC can't handle it.
■After turning the computer on in the morning and leaving the room for a minute, I come back to find it has restarted for no reason.

Specs:
■Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
■Asus P7P55D Evo
■Intel Core i7 820
■Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 850w
■OCZ PC-10666 Platinum 8 gigabytes
■Asus GeForce GTX 295 TOP

Things I've tried (with no luck) to fix the prob;
■Ran MemTest to see if it was the memory. This was a mixed bag for me. After trying my PC with several different settings in the BIOS (as the mobo guide says + what OCZ says), MemTest (Windows) says I have nothing wrong with my memory 50% of the time and the other half, it says it is full of errors - I have no idea what is the go with that. The Boot version says me memory if fine 100% of the time. I bought some Corsair memory to test with and I'm still having the same problems...
■Updated every driver possible.
■Made sure the processor was not damaged + mobo + memory slots as suggested on the Asus forums.

I have another PC that is nearly identcial - it has the same software installed and can run Crysis on full detail no probs.

I've checked the power specs for the card and 850 watts should be more than sufficient. Is it the mobo? Not enough power? The graphics card? I have non idea what may be causing the problem now that it appears the memory is not the cause.

fuksi

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
BSOD mentioning ntosknl.exe page fault in non paged area.
BSOD mentioning memory management
BSOD mentioning IRQL not less than

That is 99% RAM problem !

I was having same problems with 4x1Gb, and i had to switch within warranty to 2x2Gb and all the problems were gone. I was having Corsair 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM.
And later I spoted some thread that my Motherboard was having a lot of issues with all RAM slots used undipendant of the brand .

Try with just 2 RAM slots occupied.

Others tips that I got from several forums were:
increase RAM voltage by 0.1 or 0.2 V, it`s not dangerous with so little increase,
or lower speed of ram in bios manualy.