Sign in with
Your question

Looking at buying a Water-Cooling Kit

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2012 11:32:11 AM

My next machine i am building is going to be water-cooling desktop, but i have never play with it before. Was wondering if anyone could look at my list of stuff i picked out for this set up and let me know if it all will work together. Also let me know if i am missing anything at all.

THANK YOU ALL
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 1:54:14 PM

You have a dual DDC res, but no pump specified...you'll need at least 1 DDC pump for that res if that's how it's intended to be used.

You don't need those splitter fittings (nor do you want them).

You'll need more radiator than an single 220 for a CPU and GTX 680.
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 2:13:32 PM

Uses the same pump? How does that make it better other than speed control and shiny buttons?

If you want PWM control, buy a MCP35x. In all honesty, no one messes with their pump speed control...you set it and leave it.
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:26:52 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Uses the same pump? How does that make it better other than speed control and shiny buttons?

If you want PWM control, buy a MCP35x. In all honesty, no one messes with their pump speed control...you set it and leave it.

And if you don't have a restrictive loop, there's almost no effect when changing the flow rate in small increments. My MCP655 doesn't cool any better between 4 or 5 because my fans aren't that great right now (have a controller and Ultra Kaze 3000s on the way :D )

@OP: Read through the sticky, and focus on the part where you need to calculate your TDP. This will determine how much rad you need in your loop in order to cool the components effectively.
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:51:34 PM

There's little difference in temps with flow rates over 1.0gpm and less than 2.0gpm. As you move higher, your pump heat dump starts cannibalizing any improvements you are effectively getting by running higher flow.
July 5, 2012 6:47:33 PM

rubix_1011 said:

Are speaking to me? All he had listed was the Reservoir no pump. What I recommended was a reservoir, pump, fan control, temp indicator and pump control all in one. I never said anything about controlling the speed of the pump. This was about getting everything in one unit that's all.
July 5, 2012 7:08:32 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You have a dual DDC res, but no pump specified...you'll need at least 1 DDC pump for that res if that's how it's intended to be used.

You don't need those splitter fittings (nor do you want them).

You'll need more radiator than an single 220 for a CPU and GTX 680.

baddad said:
his would work better http://koolance.com/rp-1005-reservoir-and-pump
you also need fans, look around Koolance's site for more ideas.

Fans, are there special type of fans? Also you said my radiator was not big enough for CPU and my GTX680 can i put two of them together?
I am sorry i have never done a water-cooling kit so i am really trying to figure this all out.
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 7:40:43 PM

Quote:
Are speaking to me? All he had listed was the Reservoir no pump. What I recommended was a reservoir, pump, fan control, temp indicator and pump control all in one. I never said anything about controlling the speed of the pump. This was about getting everything in one unit that's all.

Yes, but only because you recommended a res/controller/pump that contained the same pump I had mentioned, I thought you were addressing what I had said and were offering 'something better' when it utilized the same pump.

Agreed that he didn't have a pump listed at all, so he'd definitely need that.

Quote:
Fans, are there special type of fans? Also you said my radiator was not big enough for CPU and my GTX680 can i put two of them together?
I am sorry i have never done a water-cooling kit so i am really trying to figure this all out.

What do you mean put two of them together? As in run tubing from one into another and then complete your loop? Yes, this is what you should do, but you do not want to mount these one to the other making a 'sandwich' so to speak...your cooling performance will drop by as much as 40% or so.
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 7:42:30 PM

TDP. It's all about TDP.

Figure out your total component TDP (from the GPU and CPU). The sum of those is what you need to dissipate. Then look at rad charts to determine what fans you need with a specific rad to dissipate said amount of heat.

It's really just some addition + Google.
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 7:56:26 PM

^^ Yep, exactly. Although to get really specific, it's more about discharged heat as a product of TDP @ 100% which isn't exactly 1:1 in terms of power in watts consumed vs. heat in watts generated. You can easily take total loop TDP and cut 10-15% off and still end up with a very solid loop.
July 6, 2012 3:38:22 PM

rubix_1011 said:
^^ Yep, exactly. Although to get really specific, it's more about discharged heat as a product of TDP @ 100% which isn't exactly 1:1 in terms of power in watts consumed vs. heat in watts generated. You can easily take total loop TDP and cut 10-15% off and still end up with a very solid loop.

Is this better RAD for my system set up

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4283/ex-rad-88/Black_...

Also the reason i was using the F-spliters was so the GPU does not get the heated water that just came from the CPU. Or does that not matter because the water is running thur the system so fast?
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 3:45:48 PM

There isn't any 'heated water' in a loop. Your water temperature will be a calculation of delta-T compared to your ambient room temperature. So, if you have a loop with a calculated 10C delta and your ambient room temp is 20C (68F) your water temp will be less than or equal to 30C (86F).
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 4:55:18 PM

You're going to need some really strong fans to get air through a 30 FPI radiator.

Splitters aren't great because you halve your flow rate once you go parallel. Small changes don't have much of an effect on cooling, but 50% will. A serial loop will cool better in 99% of scenarios.
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 5:05:57 PM

The only time parallel can be better than serial is multiple GPUs, although it's a minor difference...don't expect miracles.
July 6, 2012 5:08:20 PM

Thxs guys for all the help i will rework my parts list and post it when i have it finish.
!