Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking CPU - Help.

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2012 12:05:09 PM

Hey so I'm currently trying to play a very CPU intensive game, Arma II specifically.
I'm getting around 25-35 FPS which is playable yes but if I can safely overclock to grab myself an extra few frames I'd love to.

The CPU I want to overclock is.

AMD Phenom II x4 840

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Phenom_II_X4_840...

My Mobo.

Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap said about the graphics card I use, I did have a much better one but I sold it a while back, I currently use a 9800GTX +

My PSU.

600W

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-stealthxstream-2-600w...

Any advice on the overclocking potential here?
I've only ever overclocked my graphics card.

Oh my cooling is all stock, case off etc I could watch temps to make sure everything is okay.
Thank you for reading.

More about : overclocking cpu

July 5, 2012 7:15:30 PM

Anyone please?
July 6, 2012 1:24:22 AM

No help yet? Someone please haha.
Related resources
July 6, 2012 1:41:01 AM

I really doubt you will get any more frames overclocking your cpu unless it is a cpu dependent game. Sorry dude, your GPU is the culprit, play at a lower res and turn down candy or get a new gpu.

this post can be closed
July 6, 2012 1:53:33 AM

I said at the beginning of the post, it's a CPU intensive game, thanks for the reply I apreciate it but > "I really doubt you will get any more frames overclocking your cpu unless it is a cpu dependent game <

I say it's a CPU intensive game.
July 6, 2012 3:56:57 AM

"Any advice on the overclocking potential here? " The only way to answer this question is to go ahead and overclock it. You may not get the performance you want after all the "work", but you would have learned how to overclock.

Find a tutorial and go from there. If you need a reference, I can search myself, but that's nothing you can't do. If you have questions about specific features, feel free to ask. Just do your homework first :) 
July 6, 2012 12:14:13 PM

@Pearlmam
I have looked around but can't find any guides I trust on overclocking this CPU with my mobo and PSU so I thought I'd ask if people would simply take a look at the mobo PSU and CPU and tell me what they think, safety wise ect.
Thank you.
July 6, 2012 1:49:35 PM

I have no experience with AMD or your mobo, so I can't help. If no one else posts any specific advice, I would suggest to just go ahead and start playing with voltages, and voltage related features (with some discretion of course).

I assume you use the auto voltage setting? Check out what voltage that gives in the OS using CPUZ, under load and idle. Try to recreate those voltages using a manual setting. That'll give you a feel for all the features of the mobo. Also, make sure you know what to do with a failed overclock where your computer wont post at all (a switch on the mobo or a jumper). ATM, it looks like you are the expert with this CPU-mobo combo.
!