Overclocking and CPU voltages - Blown motherboard??

defever3

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I recently tried my hand at some basic CPU overclocking through the BIOS. System setup:

MSI 870-G45
Phenom II x6 1090t, Arctic Cooling 7 Pro rev. 2
Radeon 6950 2gb, Accelero Xtreme II
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600
850w LEPA PSU

The processor is a black edition, so naturally I wanted to just bump up the multiplier a few clicks and get up to maybe 3.6-3.7 (turbo core disabled). As I bumped up the voltages to stabilize the OC, the motherboard fried and blew out what looked like 3 capacitors. I did not push the voltages above 1.4v, which to me was very surprising since I had read people pushing their CPU voltages above 1.5 and getting >4ghz stable.

My question is, did I just have a bad board? Did I not use a proper method? I used the 'slow and steady' approach, bumping things up in very small increments, and everything I read online seemed like I was still operating within very safe and conservative limits.

The capacitors that blew did not have any cooling - no heatsinks or anything. My case and components are all air cooled sufficiently (CPU idles at about 28, GPU in the low 40s... I have a relatively hot 2nd story apartment if these seem high to you even with aftermarket cooling).

I recently ordered an ASRock 990FX Extreme3 board from Newegg as a replacement. I would like to try some OCing again but I am now apprehensive about it.

Thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated.