July 5, 2012 3:55:01 PM

Hello there,

I have the following setup.

I7 2700K 3,6 Ghz
2x XFX 7950 3GB
GS 800W Corsair
1 TB Sata
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3

I've just put another GFX in my machine for Crossfire.

.. and I'm a bit worried about my temperature. I've used SpeedFan to control my heat - and the system is stable at 34 C at idle.

When I open up Battlefield 3, the temperature goes up to 50 C. I've heard the temperature should not go beyond 50 C. So am I'm on the brink of overheating?

I was looking forward to OC'ing some of my components in the future, but now I'm not so sure.

The temperature was around 30 C even when playing BF3 when I only had a single GFX, and now it's almost 20 C higher?

I've also heard that the chip monitoring the heat is in the bottom of the motherboard, and that a second GFX might faulty show a higher temperature than actual.

I appreciate any advice and help you can give me.

Sincerely
Mokka

More about : temperature high

July 5, 2012 4:10:03 PM

Is this your CPU temp? GPU temp? Graphics cards under their stock air cooling are built to be happy running at 80˚C, and CPU's you shouldn't need to worry about until it reaches over 75˚C under 100% load (using Prime 95 on all cores). If that is your motherboard temp, it makes sense if it is at the bottom of the motherboard, because it is closer to the second (hot) graphics card. Bottom line, your temperature is not too high.
July 5, 2012 4:14:27 PM

Prime 95 ? Can I test that through RealTemp?

In SpeedFan it's just called System. Don't know whatever it is CPU or GPU.

Is it possible to make a test on RealTemp or another software so I can be sure? :) 

thanks for the quick response!
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 4:18:02 PM

Prime 95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

SpeedFan is less than ideal for newer Intel systems, so I suggest HWMonitor, Core Temp or RealTemp.

50C is downright cool under load BTW. Once you test with Prime 95, we'll know if you really have a problem or not.
July 5, 2012 4:31:50 PM

RealTemp show's approx 41,5 C in idle state.

What kind of torture test shall I run Prime 95 as? Small FFTs, In-place, or Blend?

Sincerly
Mokka
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 4:33:12 PM

Small FFT's is fine for a baseline 100% load temp check.
July 5, 2012 4:37:01 PM

Does it stop automatically?

and does it create some kind of log, or shall I just manually decipherer the max C ?
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 4:39:04 PM

No, you'll have to stop it by going to Test -> Stop and you'll need to monitor the temps with RealTemp.
July 5, 2012 4:40:38 PM

Okay. Under 100 % load the temperatures says approx. 88 C.

Is that a lot? The computer doesn't feel that warm though - and not even very noisy.
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 4:45:46 PM

Yeah, that IS actually pretty high. You need to stay in the mid 70's range or lower, really.

That's kind of surprising though, since your BF3 temps weren't bad at all, but you might want to double check that with RealTemp now, since we don't know if what SpeedFan showed you was CPU core temp.

A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would help a lot here, though.
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 4:52:25 PM

For i5 and i7 SB, the max is around 95 C (The Core temperatures) before the CPU starts to throttle down.
88 C "during summer higher ambient Temps, and if using the stock intel HSF, 85 -> 90 C is probably normal.
The Intel Stock HSF is at the Bottom of the totom pole for performance. personnally I don't even take out of the box. Just save it in the off chance I need to RMA the CPU. Evem a mid range, Low cost, Hyper 212+ or EVO is much better than the stock HSF.

Added:
DJDeCiBeL. Not surprising, as Prime 95 will work the CPU much harder than games.
Depending on room temps, 85->90 is NOT uncommon with Prime 95 when using the stock HSF.
Unless you are checking the CPU for stability, use Blend mode (default). which will still check your CPU temps, but also check BOTH cpu and ram for stability
July 5, 2012 4:57:08 PM

In BF under load it says 78 C.

The computer doesn't feel that hot, still.

Is it a problem with my CPU ?

a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 4:58:58 PM

Quote:
DJDeCiBeL. Not surprising, as Prime 95 will work the CPU much harder than games.
Depending on room temps, 85->90 is NOT uncommon with Prime 95 when using the stock HSF.

Of course, but after thinking about it, the temp he posted from SpeedFan was just System temp, so I'm guessing that that wasn't the CPU temp at all.
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:01:01 PM

You could be right, He Should be looking at individual core temps as they will be hotter than system temp when under load.

If 78 C is Individual Core temps then:
75 even though it is 20 C below max, it is above most recommended temp of 70 C or less.
As I recommended, get a 3rd party HSF. Even a Mid range HSF should get you down to 60 C when gaming.
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:01:30 PM

MokkaLokka said:
In BF under load it says 78 C.

The computer doesn't feel that hot, still.

Is it a problem with my CPU ?

No, nothing wrong with your CPU, just the barely adequate stock HSF. You may need to take the HSF off, thoroughly clean off the old thermal paste and reapply some new paste, along with making sure that the HSF is securely seated (the pins are a PITA to get right).

But yes, I recommend an aftermarket HSF, like the 212 Evo, as well.
July 5, 2012 5:07:29 PM

The computer is only 3 months old. What is HSF?

Is it best to apply the 212 EVO on the top of my cabinet, or reapply the side I've removed for better airflow, and apply it there?

Sincerely
Mokka
July 5, 2012 5:13:53 PM

I might have understood it wrong. aftermarket HSF is the stock cooler on my CPU? You guys recommended me to replace it with 212 evo?

Ah. What about rest of my temperature? GFX, motherboard, RAM and so on? Don't they need cooling too?

Sincerely
Mokka
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:19:45 PM

MokkaLokka said:
I might have understood it wrong. aftermarket HSF is the stock cooler on my CPU? You guys recommended me to replace it with 212 evo?

Ah. What about rest of my temperature? GFX, motherboard, RAM and so on? Don't they need cooling too?

Sincerely
Mokka

HSF is Heatsink/Fan and the one that's on it now is just the stock one, not aftermarket, but yes, our recommendation is to replace it with the 212+/Evo (I usually recommend the Evo over the 212+ though).

Get HWMonitor to look at the other temps, just to be sure, but usually, they'll be ok without extra cooling (although an extra case fan or two wouldn't hurt anything).
July 5, 2012 5:26:51 PM

Ahh! Makes sense. Is it hard to change the Stock HSF?
Can you link to the evo HSF and a good case fan? :) 

I really appreciate your help guys!

What is a good temperature for GFX, motherboard and RAM ? :)  I'll check it asap.
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 5:36:05 PM

Here's the 212 Evo http://www.amazon.co.uk/COOLER-MASTER-RR-212E-16PK-R1-C...

I'm not a case fan guru really, but you'd need to know what size fan would fit in your case (if any extra fans will at all).

Good temps for everything else is a bit subjective, but GPU temps in the 70's and 80's under load are common, and the mobo temp should usually be at or near room temp.

You probably won't have a RAM temp sensor anyway, but even if you did, DDR3 RAM doesn't get very warm.

There's really not much that matters temp wise, other than CPU and GPU temp.
July 5, 2012 6:14:24 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

GPU is max 74 C so that seems fine.

I'll try to get me some fans when I'm at it.

Thank you for your awesome support! :) 
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 5, 2012 6:15:51 PM

You're welcome. :) 
July 5, 2012 6:26:16 PM

Oh. Sorry. One more question before I'm letting you and your knowledge go.

I have to apply some thermal paste myself when I'm replacing the HSF. Is that hard? Should I make a pro do it, or can I do it myself?

Sincerely
Mokka
July 5, 2012 6:50:56 PM

Thanks!

Appreciate it mate! :) 
July 5, 2012 7:03:05 PM

Its not hard to remove the thermal paste or fan. Installation can be fun. Depends on the Fan/Case configuration.
!