Sign in with
Your question

Dual Booted Windows 7 retail and Windows 7 RC. Want to "uninstall" RC

Last response: in Windows 7
December 20, 2009 2:16:01 AM

OK Guys, I have gotten myself into a very sticky situation. Here's what happened:
I had built a computer back in July and installed Windows 7 RC onto it, hoping to upgrade to the retail version when it came out. When I installed the RC, I made a 20GB partition to use for the retail version and installed the RC onto the remaining 400GB partition. Now, I recently installed the Windows 7 retail onto the 20GB partition. So, right now, when I boot up I have the choice between the RC and the Retail version. All I want to do, is get a fresh install of Windows 7 retail. I have already backed up all needed files and documents and I'm completely fine with restarting everything and just reinstalling the retail version of Windows 7. So, I have 2 partitions: 20GB/400GB and I'm (now) fine with putting the Windows 7 retail version on either. I really messed up on this one, so, I really could use some help :) .
I can respond ASAP on any other info you might need. Pretty much, I just want to delete everything on the HD and start all over. D:
Thanks guys, TH is great.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 3:22:11 AM

I don't really see what you're asking here... you've already said you want to reinstall the RTM version of 7 clean... now you just have to do it.

I would leave the drive as one large partition though, unless you plan on installing a different OS in addition to 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 3:44:39 AM

just go into Disk Management and delete the partition that you don't want. And then expand the partition you do to fill the space.
just hit start and type 'create and format hard disk partitions'
then on the start menu type 'msconfig' and hit enter. Go to the boot tab & delete the partition you don't want.

When you insert the Windows disk, you can format partitions and create them as well. You can also therefore delete partitions and ect. to start w/ a clean slate if you want.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 3:52:45 AM

arges86 said:
just go into Disk Management and delete the partition that you don't want. And then expand the partition you do to fill the space.
just hit start and type 'create and format hard disk partitions'
then on the start menu type 'msconfig' and hit enter. Go to the boot tab & delete the partition you don't want.

When you insert the Windows disk, you can format partitions and create them as well. You can also therefore delete partitions and ect. to start w/ a clean slate if you want.

The OP must be cognizant of where the bootmgr resides... otherwise there may be an extra step involved in getting the machine booting into the desired version of 7 again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 4:08:39 AM

if the bootmgr is deleted, you need the installing/repair disk, and fix the master boot record.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 4:22:24 AM

The startup repair wizard in the Windows 7 DVDs diagnostic tools can repair it... but my point was simply to avoid an extra step by not being too hasty about adjusting the partition setup on the drive...
m
l
December 20, 2009 6:45:39 AM

If all he wants is a fresh install, the easiest way for him to do it is delete both the old partitions and create one new one using the OS media. All his data is backed up, so this should be pretty straightforward.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2009 3:51:28 PM

that would certainty be the easiest if he doesn't mind getting rid of everything
m
l
!