Sign in with
Your question

Usb devices on motherboards?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2010 6:39:49 AM

Hey

I have a laptop, to which i have a really generic notebook cooler connected to using the usb. can usb devices pull more electricity from the usb ports than they are designed to handle and thus *fry* the motherboard? if then i should quickly remove the cooler :$
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 6:50:23 AM

In theory it can happen. But what usually happens is that the USB controller will either discontinue the power to the port to prevent damage, or the PSU will struggle and shutdown the computer altogether (not a Windows shutdown, more of a sudden blackout). Check the fan specs at the back. How much power does it draw? And are you using USB 1, USB 1.1 or USB 2?
July 16, 2010 9:40:24 AM

usb 2 and its a laptop so no psu inside.. and yeah cooler doesnt have the power consumption mentioned on it :$
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 1:22:03 PM

USb 2 has more power available than earlier versions.
If you have a USB 2 device and plug it into a USB 2 port you should be ok.
I would not plug a usb2 device into a USB 1 port. (most manufacturers are cutting costs and redundency, margin of error, and protection are the first to go)
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 1:16:59 AM

squallypie said:
usb 2 and its a laptop so no psu inside.. and yeah cooler doesnt have the power consumption mentioned on it :$

USB 2 should be fine.

If the device tries to draw more power than the computer can provide it will give you a warning. Since it does not, it is ok.
!