Sign in with
Your question

Bad video card? GTX 285

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2009 10:10:52 PM

I recently built a new system and with an EVGA GTX 285 video card. When I first played Crysis I was running the game on 1680 x 1050 with the highest settings and 8x anti aliasing and the game played fine. Recently I tried to play Crysis and Far Cry 2 with anti aliasing which used to work. Now whenever I try Crysis with anything beyond 2x anti aliasing the game lags greatly and on Far Cry 2 the game will start with a black screen if any anti aliasing is enabled.

Further more even on the first day I built this system I tested it using 3dmark vantage and it showed it getting an fps rate between 21 to 40 fps which shouldn't be normal for a GTX 285. It also won't finish Return to Proxycon or Firefly Forrest in 3dmark06 yet it says it passed which is strange.

Here my my full system specs:
ASUS P6TD motherboard.
Intel i7 960 3.20 ghz quad core processor.
EVGA Nvidia GTX 285 card.
12 GB of RAM.
1000 watt power supply.
Windows 7 64 bit pro.

I'm sure this is a bad video card and I intend to get a replacement on Monday but I'm sure it could also be a motherboard or psu which I'm not sure about. I've also ran memtest but the ram checks out fine so I don't think it's the ram. I've only had this card for a few weeks so I wouldn't be surprised if I received one of the bad cards from a shipment. So does this sound like a bad video card or could it be another component on the system? Thanks in advance for any responses.

More about : bad video card gtx 285

December 25, 2009 10:47:24 PM

Have you tried updating/reinstalling the drivers?
December 25, 2009 10:54:41 PM

Yes I have uninstalled the driver multiple times. I installed the latest Nvidia driver and tried a beta driver as well as older drivers. Still get the same results.
December 27, 2009 9:32:03 PM

Never mind I resolved this issue myself. Crysis and Far cry 2 needed to be patched. The only other concern is the low 3dmark 06 and 3d mark vantage scores. Which I will ask my boss at work about tomorrow.
!