Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BIOS Missing Options? AMD A8-3500m

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2012 11:17:27 PM

I've searched around seemingly everywhere for a solution to my problem, so I've come to the conclusion that
mines may be unique or more unique than most.

I've been successfully able to OC my machine, however, the core speed suddenly drops when playing any game as shown by CPU-Z. It'll be up in the 24x multiplier range but then the multiplier would drop to around 11x.

There have been many threads that speak of turning off "Cool N Quiet" and/or C1E, but I cannot find these options in the BIOS (unlocked mod). Also for an added bonus, when I want to configure CPU settings (which by the way, says CPU-related settings rather than what I think it should say), it only has the p-state configuration option and the only options I am able to toggle between are "Auto" and "Lowest Speed".

I've Driver Swept my drivers, reinstalled, in fact, things are functioning better than ever now that I've done so much stuff to get to the point where I have to make this thread. :sweat: 

If I left out any vital information please let me know.

Here are some specs.

Machine name: CAM-HP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version CCB.03.61.09F.21
Processor: AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5610MB RAM
Page File: 3014MB used, 8205MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Thanks in Advance. =)
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 4:51:13 PM

try going into catalyst control center, and going to cpu power under preformance, and moving the slider over
July 6, 2012 9:46:12 PM

I've tried this. Even under performance something seems to throttle the speed when it reaches a certain point.

I've used other softwhere to overclock as well and the same thing still happens.
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 11:06:01 PM

the mb may have a temp sensor so when the laptop hit x temp the gpu will start to throttle back.
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 11:13:23 PM

Read your manual carefully, many boards have a "unlock" key you must hit while in the BIOS to reveal certain options on certain pages. Skim your manual carefully front to back, on my gigabyte boards it mentions this nearly at the very end of the manual, and if you don't read the thing carefully and completely, you would likely never find about it!
July 7, 2012 1:19:50 AM

Ah I see, it would be a good idea to do that in order to hide it from people. :lol: 

Okay then, I will look and post results.
July 7, 2012 1:34:37 AM

I've looked and I don't believe they have any instructions on how to do that.
July 7, 2012 5:38:30 AM

Wow, well I have no idea if it's because I removed the CMOS battery for so long or that it has always been there (though I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before), I'm now able to access more options in my BIOS, in which I was successfully able to turn off the "Cool N Quiet" feature.

So for anyone who has trouble unlocking all of their options, removing the CMOS battery for a long period of time (About half an hour passed before I put it back in but that may be a bit too over) may do the trick.

:bounce: 
July 16, 2012 11:56:30 PM

Best answer selected by Scrafty.
!