Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overheating or broken sensor?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 6, 2012 12:13:21 AM

I have a core 2 quad q8400 and my idle is about 50°C, it's already high, but when i turn on Prime for example for testing the temperature goes to 100° in one of the cores and 90° in the others in 30 seconds. After stopping Prime the temperature falls to 60 in less than one minute too. The sensor might be broken or the cpu is really burning? I heard that generally the temperature in a cpu doesn't change so abruptely. I have currently the intel cooler that came with it, which cooler should i buy? I heard CM hyper 212+ is quite good. My desktop isn't very big, Noctuas I know are very good but they are designed for bigger desktops right?
July 6, 2012 1:11:56 AM

I have cleaned it from dust and changed the thermal compound(for the only shitty one that i found). Would this be the cause? I live in Brazil and air temp is around 20°C
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 6:36:42 PM

Your temperatures seem completely normal considering your using a stock cooler. Temperatures will change dramatically when testing with something like Prime95. Cleaning dust out and re-applying thermal paste can help but aren't the first steps you should take. First step to getting better temperatures is to replace the stock heatsink. The 212 is popular because it gets the job done for a cheap price. So if your on a budget the 212 is a fine cooler. If you want to spend more check out thermalright and noctua coolers. Secondly, make sure your case has good airflow. Not sure what your fan set up is like now so I can't recommend much specifically. Regardless though, an aftermarket cooler will help your temperatures dramatically.

Good luck.

Also, I suggest not running prime95 anymore with your stock cooler. Unless you like torturing your CPU =).
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 6:45:03 PM

Those temps are dangerously high, but I see nothing to suggest your sensor is bad. Bad sensors usually report 127c at all times.

In general, once you stop stressing the CPU, you'll see the temperature drop instantly. There's still some built up heat that needs to be dissipated, so getting back to your lowest idle temps can take longer.

I'd recommend getting an aftermarket cooler and not ever running Prime95 again with the stock cooler.
m
l
July 7, 2012 2:55:14 AM

Now that i started using core temp, i noticed that while playing games such as BT3 the temperatures reached were the same, and even playing League of Legends, what to me is kind of awkward since League of Legends require much less CPU usage than BT3 or Prime. I have 2 fans used as exhausts one in rear and one in side, above the CPU I have my 650W power suply acting as an exhaust too. I'm not sure big coolers such Nocutua will fit, they are bigger then the 212 right?
m
l
July 7, 2012 2:56:43 AM

Using Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool downloaded from Intel site the program reported my temperatures as normal, do any of you know if this program is good?
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
July 7, 2012 8:28:34 AM

whether it has been tested with other software HW monitor ? or touch the CPU cooler with a finger, if it feels warm faulty sensor means, but if it feels hot, it is necessary to repair cooler cpu
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 7, 2012 8:54:09 AM

otakubr said:
I have a core 2 quad q8400 and my idle is about 50°C, it's already high, but when i turn on Prime for example for testing the temperature goes to 100° in one of the cores and 90° in the others in 30 seconds. After stopping Prime the temperature falls to 60 in less than one minute too. The sensor might be broken or the cpu is really burning? I heard that generally the temperature in a cpu doesn't change so abruptely. I have currently the intel cooler that came with it, which cooler should i buy? I heard CM hyper 212+ is quite good. My desktop isn't very big, Noctuas I know are very good but they are designed for bigger desktops right?

The initial batch of second generation core 2 processors are known for having sticky thermal diodes that are not reliable at low temperatures. However they aren't too bad at higher temperatures. I'm not entirely certain if the Q8400s experienced this problem though. I would get a second opinion from HWInfo64 because your motherboard might have a few more thermometers which can be used to gauge temperatures.
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
July 7, 2012 9:07:31 AM

Quote:
My Hp G62 laptop also overheat, i bought a cooling fan from http://www.salebatt.com, now the issue had been resolved.

Laptop different with Desktop
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:35:09 PM

Reading mainboard temperatures using gamebooster temperatures are 10° lower.
Touching the cooler I don't fell it very warm.
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:38:10 PM

According to Core Temp, one of the cores is always hotter than the others, this is probably caused by bad thermal compound apply right?
m
l
July 8, 2012 1:42:00 AM

if you used a compound like artic silver 5 it takes a few days of use to cure the compound also check this out it is a pretty good article on applying the compound.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 1:48:41 AM

otakubr said:
According to Core Temp, one of the cores is always hotter than the others, this is probably caused by bad thermal compound apply right?

A constant spread in temperature between different cores is normal and is a result of the construction process.
m
l
July 8, 2012 3:01:00 AM

Ok, I'm going to read it next time I apply, not going to waste the thermal compound I just used. And thanks for the info about the cores temperature.
How long do i need to wait untill to cure the compound?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 3:12:16 AM

otakubr said:
Ok, I'm going to read it next time I apply, not going to waste the thermal compound I just used. And thanks for the info about the cores temperature.
How long do i need to wait untill to cure the compound?

AS5 takes about 200 hours and several full thermal cycles (meaning from room temperature to Prime95 and back)
m
l
July 8, 2012 3:25:51 PM

Ok, I'll keep using it and in some days I shall return with some results
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 4:56:19 PM

sounds good!
m
l
July 8, 2012 7:05:49 PM