USB 3.0 30mpbs average ??

nkryptd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Ok i've read some usb 3.0 post on this forum, however i've only seen posts about regular hdd's.

I recently built a new system.

biostar A870U3 (usb 3.0) mobo
OCZ vertex 3 120gb 500mb read/write latest firmware 2.15 ( AHCI enabled)
8gb DDR3 1600 RAM
XFX 6870 HD 1gb
AMD 6core 1090T cpu

Mushkin 16gb usb 3.0 drive.

Now i fired up my usb drive copying a 6gb file and it started out with speeds of 100mbps then dropped to an average speed of 30mpbs. I'm really disappointed in the speed of usb3.0 and hoping someone here knows how to fix this issue. I would be happy with the USB drives max speed at 50mpbs.

Ty in advance for anyone shedding light on this subject.

I would guess that that is a limitation of the Mushkin flash drive, not of the USB 3.0 interface. To do a fair test of that, you need something like a good HDD or an SSD in an external USB 3.0 case.

I wish my flash drives ran at - no, I take it back. I had read that at 10 megabytes per second, now I see the lower-case b and see that it's 30 megabits. Just yanked one out of a drawer - I get 2.5 MB/sec write and 5.6 MB/sec read. On USB 2.0.

I think you have to do a little simple benchmarking with a USB 3.0 flash drive that someone you know likes, and with a good HDD or SSD in a USB 3.0 case. Yes, the problem could be your USB 3.0, but the most likely component to be causing your issue is the Mushkin drive itself.