Sudden death of system after three days

el facilitator

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Amigos-

Merry Christmas.

Put together my first system and it booted and ran the first time! This Christmas evening, after putting torchlight on pause a few times, went up for dinner and I came back to a dead computer.

Build:

EVGA X58 Classified 3x SLI E760
i7-975
Thermalright ultra-120 extreme-1366
6 mb Corsair Dom GT 2000
Sapphire hd5970
Corsair p256 ssd
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB (two)
Soundblaster PCI-E X-Fi Ti Fatal1ty Champion
Corsair hx850w
Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA Model BDR-205BKS
Samsung Internal Half Height DVD-W Supermulti SATA 22X Lightscribe
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

Took the side of the case off. There are lights on the board (Blinking red light on bridge cooler and Blue LED). Hit the power button, either on the case or the MB and the yellow light next to the blue light comes on and stays on. The fans on the CPU cooler and the case come on for a fraction of a second, then stop. The light on the side of the X-Fi board lights up for the same fraction of a second, then goes off. Then, nothing.....

Unplugged everything except PS, MB, CPU, CPU cooler, 1 mem card and video card. No change.

What next?

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
screws to tight on motherboard grounding maybe loosen them up a little so there just snug also check cpu heatsink is on good probably something minnor plug in the dvd and 1 hard drive check all power connections are snug secure?

el facilitator

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Did the unplug/replug thing- no change. Found a similar problem on the corsair site- power supply.
Removed PSU and did the paper clip test. It failed and I got an RMA from corsair the day after I submitted the problem. Couldn't wait for the new PSU so I bought a new one and installed it. Good to go.

Thanks for everyone's input. :pt1cable: