Is XMP safe to turn on in an i5 2400?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Is XMP compatible with i5 2400? Does it void warranty or damage the CPU? I see that it increases ram voltage to 1.65v from 1.5 and I heard that's a bad thing to do while having an i5. It also overclocks my CPU more than its max, usually I can only get 3.6ghz on 4 cores but with this thing it goes to 3.7-3.8. Temps are about the same, tiny difference. I'm not sure what it does exatcly but I only noticed that it increases ram voltage to 1.65, cpu cores and nothing else. BCLK remains locked. (well it remains "locked" like before I turned XMP on, i set it on 100 but BIOS and cpu-z tell me that it's 100.30-100.32.)

Solution

Unfortunately, yep. And I agree, but they're just in full CYA mode.

Seriously though, there's almost no way to tell that someone has overclocked their CPU (or anything else). What it basically is, is the customer rep that you talk to will ask you if you have been using incorrect RAM and/or overclocking and using an aftermarket HSF. You can always just say "no", of course.

That's where the word technically comes in. Yes, in the fine print, all of that DOES void the warranty, but if you don't tell them, they really have no way of knowing that, besides actual visual damage to the outside of the CPU (rarely happens).

I just got the Tuning Plan to be absolutely safe...

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. With my old Nehalem-based i7, I was told not to exceed 1.65V. If you're at that or below, you're probably fine. Here's an article for reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i7nehalem-memory-voltage,6464.html

I'd just scour the internet looking for "maximum memory voltage on Sandy Bridge" or something of that nature. It should get you all you need, but from my brief investigation, it would seem to suggest you'll be fine.

It'll work, but it'll void the stock warranty, because it's technically overclocking. Also, 1.65V RAM is considered to be harmful for SB CPU's over the long term.

With that said, many people run both faster than 1333 and higher than 1.5V RAM with their SB CPU's, but they do so knowing and understanding the risks.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

really? I thought the "void warranty if overclocking" thing was just if you increase voltage too much, overclock too much and the processor dies because of this or overheating. So just if I turn turbo boost on I stop having warranty?

Read IntelEnthusiast's reply here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/339932-28-what-supports-xxxx#t2574409 The thread isn't about the 2400, but it makes the point.

And yes, any overclocking (especially on a non-K CPU, but on the K CPU's too, actually) technically voids the warranty. That's why they offer the Performance Tuning Protection Plan for the K series CPU's (which I have for my 2500K). That completely covers overclocking.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

http://www.overclock.net/t/1257057/psa-intel-will-void-your-warranty-if-you-use-a-3rd-party-cooler
this too^
wow, well this is ******* retarded, why do these bastards even include warranty anymore? they practically thought of everything the average gamer does to their processor and made those things void warranty, I googled some more and found out that even GPU overclocking can void it. Guess I'm screwed on many levels since I overclocked my gts 450 to 1ghz...
And that warranty plan is for K processors only right?

this is just... pathetic, they flash that "enable turbo! XMP! etc" everywhere, it's like throwing a man in a volcano and telling him that if he avoids the lava everything will be OK... bullshit

Unfortunately, yep. And I agree, but they're just in full CYA mode.

Seriously though, there's almost no way to tell that someone has overclocked their CPU (or anything else). What it basically is, is the customer rep that you talk to will ask you if you have been using incorrect RAM and/or overclocking and using an aftermarket HSF. You can always just say "no", of course.

That's where the word technically comes in. Yes, in the fine print, all of that DOES void the warranty, but if you don't tell them, they really have no way of knowing that, besides actual visual damage to the outside of the CPU (rarely happens).

I just got the Tuning Plan to be absolutely safe, just in case I ever need it. It was only $20 anyway...

Solution

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

ah guess I'm fine then, I hope they don't go all paranoid on me and analyze the cpu surface and notice I used MX-2 thermal paste instead of theirs, but I'll just say that I had to reapply it or something.