Closed Solved

What do you guys think about this solution?

As you all know IB CPUs tend to run hot. Water cooling is awesome for them but 50c at 4.4+ is a bit too much for me. How does this solution sound to you guys?
( My room get really hot (80 degrees) and we get shorts when all the air conditioners and my pc is on. I have to pick between my pc and ac)
I grab a second reservoir pop open the top and add an ice pack a day to keep it cool. Now I know it will be a hassle but it'll be better than adding ice to my reservoir. I won't have to deal with increased water levels.

- I have the xspc rasa 750 rs240 kit

Here's what will happen:

Pump/res-->CPU-->radiator-->2nd reservoir-->pump/res
This will only be done in the summer when it's REALLY hot.
The water should be chilled but not enough to condensate since its a low grade ice pack. What do you guys think of the solution?

Another question is will a nickel reservoir affect my parts? I know nickel plated CPU water blocks created major issues does the same apply for reservoirs? I ask this because this is the reservoir I plan on usin for y ice pack:
http://www.xoxide.com/phobya-balancer150-blacknickel.html

It's black nickel playing, made with brass and plexiglas.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what guys solution
  1. put the AC on a different breaker like you are supposed too
  2. It's a small apartment with 2 rooms, limited options.

It's a bedroom and a living room/kitchen. That's 2 air conditioners.
  3. Best answer
    Check out 4Ryan6's 'sub-ambient cooling' sticky up top, he has run a system similar to what you described for over a year now, and would be the best to advise you on this
    Moto
  4. 4Ryan6's post is very helpful however he's ice box/rad is outside his case. I personally don't want a big icebox like that. I'd prefer it in my case. Since I'll have a small amount of distillates water running through my system I won't need 1 gallon of ice I'll need a few ice packs. I'm only running 1 loop to CPU.
  5. What about condensation? If any water (even distilled) gets on your motherboard, you're screwed!
  6. Yeah, that's where I want you guys to help me. Im getting the Sabertooth Z77 which has TUF armor but I won't rely on that, however it is extra defense agianst condensation.
  7. Just don't even bother, if any part of the board gets wet, YOU ARE SCREWED!

Shorting things out FTW...
  8. Maybe I can put a smaller ice pack and try to balance the temperature out more. With a second reservoir I'll have more liquid to cool?
  9. Roxas2030 said:
    Maybe I can put a smaller ice pack and try to balance the temperature out more. With a second reservoir I'll have more liquid to cool?

Well, TBH this setup is more of an outside the case solution.
  10. Blah, so you guys are pointing me towards to opposite direction? Stick with simple distiller?
  11. Are your 50C temps idle or under load?
  12. This is just a plan the CPU temp is just a ball park estimation from the threads I've read.
  13. Roxas2030 said:
    This is just a plan the CPU temp is just a ball park estimation from the threads I've read.

50 degree load temps are not a problem at all, that would be miraculously low
  14. Haha wow you see this is why I wanted chilled water
    Cooling. Id prefer my i5 running at 4.8. If 4.4 pulls over 50c easy and ~70c is te cap there's not much room left.
  15. I think you have a bit more reading and research to do before you go much further. You are dismissing all suggestions offered by people on a question that you asked. If you don't like the answers you are getting, perhaps you just need to do it and report back.
  16. Roxas2030 said:
    4Ryan6's post is very helpful however he's ice box/rad is outside his case. I personally don't want a big icebox like that. I'd prefer it in my case. Since I'll have a small amount of distillates water running through my system I won't need 1 gallon of ice I'll need a few ice packs. I'm only running 1 loop to CPU.

The volume is what enables a larger degree of control over the temps, I'd think it is feasible to have a smaller version but inside the case would be more difficult to swap ice in/out and potentially more risky for your hardware,
    maybe a small custom res/tank is a plan you can investigate but I'd definitely have it external,
    but as I said before Ryans the man on this, he will have experimented with various options before arriving at his current set up
    and don't forget to insulate all your tubing :)
    Moto
  17. I'm not sure that a small ice pack is going to do much good...you might see a few degrees C drop, but it's all about ice to water ratio as well as total ice surface area.
  18. Hmm so it won't be that helpful then. I think I'll go with 4Ryan's method then and besides figuring out how to keep it in my case I'll try to figure out a good way to hide the big cooler.
  19. Best answer selected by Roxas2030.
  20. This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling CPUs Overclocking