What do you guys think about this solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas2030

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
As you all know IB CPUs tend to run hot. Water cooling is awesome for them but 50c at 4.4+ is a bit too much for me. How does this solution sound to you guys?
( My room get really hot (80 degrees) and we get shorts when all the air conditioners and my pc is on. I have to pick between my pc and ac)
I grab a second reservoir pop open the top and add an ice pack a day to keep it cool. Now I know it will be a hassle but it'll be better than adding ice to my reservoir. I won't have to deal with increased water levels.

- I have the xspc rasa 750 rs240 kit

Here's what will happen:

Pump/res-->CPU-->radiator-->2nd reservoir-->pump/res
This will only be done in the summer when it's REALLY hot.
The water should be chilled but not enough to condensate since its a low grade ice pack. What do you guys think of the solution?

Another question is will a nickel reservoir affect my parts? I know nickel plated CPU water blocks created major issues does the same apply for reservoirs? I ask this because this is the reservoir I plan on usin for y ice pack:
http://www.xoxide.com/phobya-balancer150-blacknickel.html

It's black nickel playing, made with brass and plexiglas.

Solution
Check out 4Ryan6's 'sub-ambient cooling' sticky up top, he has run a system similar to what you described for over a year now, and would be the best to advise you on this
Moto

Roxas2030

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
4Ryan6's post is very helpful however he's ice box/rad is outside his case. I personally don't want a big icebox like that. I'd prefer it in my case. Since I'll have a small amount of distillates water running through my system I won't need 1 gallon of ice I'll need a few ice packs. I'm only running 1 loop to CPU.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think you have a bit more reading and research to do before you go much further. You are dismissing all suggestions offered by people on a question that you asked. If you don't like the answers you are getting, perhaps you just need to do it and report back.

The volume is what enables a larger degree of control over the temps, I'd think it is feasible to have a smaller version but inside the case would be more difficult to swap ice in/out and potentially more risky for your hardware,
maybe a small custom res/tank is a plan you can investigate but I'd definitely have it external,
but as I said before Ryans the man on this, he will have experimented with various options before arriving at his current set up
and don't forget to insulate all your tubing :)
Moto

Roxas2030

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hmm so it won't be that helpful then. I think I'll go with 4Ryan's method then and besides figuring out how to keep it in my case I'll try to figure out a good way to hide the big cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.