Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What do you guys think about this solution?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 6, 2012 4:06:07 AM

As you all know IB CPUs tend to run hot. Water cooling is awesome for them but 50c at 4.4+ is a bit too much for me. How does this solution sound to you guys?
( My room get really hot (80 degrees) and we get shorts when all the air conditioners and my pc is on. I have to pick between my pc and ac)
I grab a second reservoir pop open the top and add an ice pack a day to keep it cool. Now I know it will be a hassle but it'll be better than adding ice to my reservoir. I won't have to deal with increased water levels.

- I have the xspc rasa 750 rs240 kit

Here's what will happen:

Pump/res-->CPU-->radiator-->2nd reservoir-->pump/res
This will only be done in the summer when it's REALLY hot.
The water should be chilled but not enough to condensate since its a low grade ice pack. What do you guys think of the solution?

Another question is will a nickel reservoir affect my parts? I know nickel plated CPU water blocks created major issues does the same apply for reservoirs? I ask this because this is the reservoir I plan on usin for y ice pack:
http://www.xoxide.com/phobya-balancer150-blacknickel.ht...

It's black nickel playing, made with brass and plexiglas.

More about : guys solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 4:18:16 AM

put the AC on a different breaker like you are supposed too
Score
July 6, 2012 4:39:57 AM

It's a small apartment with 2 rooms, limited options.

It's a bedroom and a living room/kitchen. That's 2 air conditioners.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 6:20:00 AM

Check out 4Ryan6's 'sub-ambient cooling' sticky up top, he has run a system similar to what you described for over a year now, and would be the best to advise you on this
Moto
July 6, 2012 7:14:21 AM

4Ryan6's post is very helpful however he's ice box/rad is outside his case. I personally don't want a big icebox like that. I'd prefer it in my case. Since I'll have a small amount of distillates water running through my system I won't need 1 gallon of ice I'll need a few ice packs. I'm only running 1 loop to CPU.
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 7:23:10 AM

What about condensation? If any water (even distilled) gets on your motherboard, you're screwed!
Score
July 6, 2012 8:32:15 AM

Yeah, that's where I want you guys to help me. Im getting the Sabertooth Z77 which has TUF armor but I won't rely on that, however it is extra defense agianst condensation.
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 8:35:22 AM

Just don't even bother, if any part of the board gets wet, YOU ARE SCREWED!

Shorting things out FTW...
Score
July 6, 2012 8:44:06 AM

Maybe I can put a smaller ice pack and try to balance the temperature out more. With a second reservoir I'll have more liquid to cool?
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 8:48:33 AM

Roxas2030 said:
Maybe I can put a smaller ice pack and try to balance the temperature out more. With a second reservoir I'll have more liquid to cool?

Well, TBH this setup is more of an outside the case solution.
Score
July 6, 2012 9:20:09 AM

Blah, so you guys are pointing me towards to opposite direction? Stick with simple distiller?
Score
a c 190 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 9:26:30 AM

Are your 50C temps idle or under load?
Score
July 6, 2012 12:37:41 PM

This is just a plan the CPU temp is just a ball park estimation from the threads I've read.
Score
a c 190 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 12:47:11 PM

Roxas2030 said:
This is just a plan the CPU temp is just a ball park estimation from the threads I've read.

50 degree load temps are not a problem at all, that would be miraculously low
Score
July 6, 2012 1:09:57 PM

Haha wow you see this is why I wanted chilled water
Cooling. Id prefer my i5 running at 4.8. If 4.4 pulls over 50c easy and ~70c is te cap there's not much room left.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 2:08:40 PM

I think you have a bit more reading and research to do before you go much further. You are dismissing all suggestions offered by people on a question that you asked. If you don't like the answers you are getting, perhaps you just need to do it and report back.
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 3:11:37 PM

Roxas2030 said:
4Ryan6's post is very helpful however he's ice box/rad is outside his case. I personally don't want a big icebox like that. I'd prefer it in my case. Since I'll have a small amount of distillates water running through my system I won't need 1 gallon of ice I'll need a few ice packs. I'm only running 1 loop to CPU.

The volume is what enables a larger degree of control over the temps, I'd think it is feasible to have a smaller version but inside the case would be more difficult to swap ice in/out and potentially more risky for your hardware,
maybe a small custom res/tank is a plan you can investigate but I'd definitely have it external,
but as I said before Ryans the man on this, he will have experimented with various options before arriving at his current set up
and don't forget to insulate all your tubing :) 
Moto
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 6, 2012 3:47:32 PM

I'm not sure that a small ice pack is going to do much good...you might see a few degrees C drop, but it's all about ice to water ratio as well as total ice surface area.
Score
July 6, 2012 11:45:36 PM

Hmm so it won't be that helpful then. I think I'll go with 4Ryan's method then and besides figuring out how to keep it in my case I'll try to figure out a good way to hide the big cooler.
Score
July 6, 2012 11:47:40 PM

Best answer selected by Roxas2030.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
July 7, 2012 3:29:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Score
!