Will a water cooler really benefit me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedativechunk

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hey I'm new to the concept of water cooling and would (no pun intended) like to get my feet wet with it! Right now I have successfully overlooked my PC with an AMD hex core CPU from 2.7 to around 3.6 GHz (and that is with AMD turbo enabled my base speed minimum is around 3.2,GHz). My CPU temp gets max to around 57 c. I have done all overclocking via the bios on a fully unlocked gigabyte mobo

Bottom line with turbo enabled my individual cores float around 3.6 to 3.8 GHz. When I increase my fsb too far windows doesn't want to start! What I would like to do is get this sucker to a stable minimum of 4 GHz without the turbo and (if possible) have a water cooler than can cool both my CPU AND my EVGA 550 to grafix card.

Would this be possible? The main reason why I came here with questions is because my overclocking limits more than anything. Why does windows not boot when I set the FSB higher? Does it know it's unstable or will overheat? If I install a water cooler is it going to let me over lock any more? I have a 600 watt power supply is it possible I have reached power limitsor my memory doesn't let it OC any taste? I only have 2,RAM slots dual channel at 1333mhz.

Even if I can't. OC anymore I think it would be nice to have a cooler CPU! But more importantantly than the CPU I am having issues with heat with my grafix card. It gets to a very hot 90 C I have to put the fan on max to keep it cool around 70 C while gaming. Does anyone got links resources to cool both grafix and CPU? I just learned about this dual cooling setup tonight

Solution
How long ago did you buy the stuff on eBay? If you can still file a claim, do it and ask for a partial refund of like $50 or something. You don't have to ship it back and your wallet feels better.

Fur mark is a great program for stress testing but that's about it. I use it to check how well my WC system cools my GPUs. If you're breaching 70C within a few minutes it is definitely an airflow problem.

The 550Ti technically is a mid range GPU; high end is considered anything around 275 and up. That's why most of us don't think it's worth trying to watercool - even when OCed you'll barely match the 560Ti (which can match the 570 performance).

If the performance is great for you, I'm guessing you're either not using the nicer features...
there is no reason to overclock your CPU with a low end GPU like that.

your overclock is likely failing because you are not providing enough voltage, and are using the "FSB" instead of the multiplier like you should. windows doesn't know anything, the CPU is just incapable of processing instructions correctly with the settings you are using.

I'm throwing in a vote for poor case airflow as well. Can you post some pictures of your setup and what directions the fan blow?

You temps on the X6 sound pretty good - sub-60C for an OCed CPU (and an AMD nonetheless) is pretty good, considering a lot of stock CPUs hit the mid 50C range even with good case airflow and a good CPU cooler.

Phenom II X6s are the only desktop hex-cores AMD makes. I've seen quad cores get pretty high, but I think there's too much circuitry in the X6s that prevents them from being stable beyond 3.8GHz or so.

nna2

Distinguished

what about the hex core bulldozers

edit: well... i guess none of the 6 core bulldozers we're stock clocked at 2.7 GHz lol

sedativechunk

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys,
thanks for the replies I am on my PC now last night I posted here from my phone so it was a little tough. Here is the inside of the PC because some of you think I have airflow issues (which I doubt actually it's got a lot of breathing room and multiple fans to cycle cool air in/hot air out):

This pic is when I was putting some better screws for ground issues in it last week I have the cables more organized now for the airflow of the graphics card. This is a huge custom gaming tower from xoxide.com, its got a massive fan on the side that sucks all the hot air out on the side.
First off, the stock heatsink/CPU fan, its VERY small. That's why I was looking at a different cooling solution. I have other heatsinks/fans and maybe some people recommend just upgrading a heat sink fan but hey. This is my first custom computer, I look at a water cooler as something that will not only keep it cooler but maybe something I can have when I want to upgrade this further into another computer I will always have an adequate cooling system!

One of you said something about the clock multiplier. I can't adjust it anymore. The motherboard is unlocked but this particular CPU has preset multiplier values, I can only really adjust the FSB. What makes me mad, I bought this motherboard/CPU on ebay for a good deal, it was SUPPOSE to come with a AMD black edition. The guy shipped me the wrong CPU but when I looked at price/stats it was a very similar CPU. I also didn't want to go through all the trouble of shipping it back. But finding out this multiplier value can't be customized to any number it makes me mad now! :fou:
I'm also surprised by the negativity towards the graphics card... for the record I have the 2GB version that costed more. Second, I know there are better graphics cards on the market (especially the nvidia 600 series) but I definitely wouldn't consider the 550ti "low end". This is a monstrous graphics card! For $170 bucks I wouldn't consider it low end, it tears games apart. Third the graphics problems weren't power issues either, I actually did stress testing with "FurMark", the graphics card was cooking at 92 C. This card would actually freeze the computer during BF3, all i need to do is turn up the fan speed and it hasn't happened since.

I learned ALOT these past 2-3 months about building PCs. I was originally a laptop person but after having multiple laptops break on me (and suck for gaming) I got into building PCs. Originally this was an upgraded HP Pavilion desktop computer, but I spent some money and completely changed the system as well as installed a solid state drive. This computer is FAST. The games are great. I just wanted it to last me a few years before revamping the whole system (again) and heat is probably the number one killer of computer hardware!
Budget? I was looking at something between 80-120 bucks. I actually found one that goes into your CD-ROM slots in your case. I don't know if my case would allow the radiator to mounted to the top of the case because my PSU is there. But before even wasting the money that's why I came here.

nna2

Distinguished
furmark will bring out unrealistic numbers, games have alot of stopping and starting, which will keep your gpu cooler, and they won't use 100% of your gpu

i would suggest getting the CM hyper 212+ or Evo, they will do good... and it's not really a big deal black edition or not, no BE are a little more fuss, but their still easy to work with

That's a problem with the case.

The 550ti is the lowest end card in the GTX 5XX series of cards. I only paid $120 for mine, but $170 for yours? Crazy.

Anyways, the problem you have here is your case airflow. Spend $80-120 on a better case and a better cooler.

How long ago did you buy the stuff on eBay? If you can still file a claim, do it and ask for a partial refund of like $50 or something. You don't have to ship it back and your wallet feels better.

Fur mark is a great program for stress testing but that's about it. I use it to check how well my WC system cools my GPUs. If you're breaching 70C within a few minutes it is definitely an airflow problem.

The 550Ti technically is a mid range GPU; high end is considered anything around 275 and up. That's why most of us don't think it's worth trying to watercool - even when OCed you'll barely match the 560Ti (which can match the 570 performance).

If the performance is great for you, I'm guessing you're either not using the nicer features for most games (ultra detail, antialiasing, etc) or you're running at a lower resolution than 1920x1080, because the 550Ti has pretty mediocre performance at that size.

The WC unit that mounts in the DVD bay is most likely a Thermaltake Bigwater based on the way you described it, and they are terrible. Not worth the money at all.

Solution

sedativechunk

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys,
It's been a week or so since I originally posted this I thought I would post an update. There really wasn't a problem with the case... it's a brand new modtek case I ordered from xoxide.com, it's nice and room with a side fan but the problem was I had that tiny system fan from a small HP computer doing virtually nothing to cycle hot air out of the computer from the back side.
I bought a massive 120mm fan yesterday with adjustable fan speed (and a warranty), dead quiet but blows all the hot air. I did hours of gaming and this thing is keeping the system alot cooler, you can feel the different of the air coming out of the case.

I don't care for a water cooler anymore, I just wanted to do more overclocking but the CPU is already pushed to the max and working great. In the future when I build a better system I'll look into it. But thanks for the thoughts/opinions anyway on it everyone! I already put enough time/money into the PC it's time I actually enjoy it, it's the best computer I've ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.