When will intel x86 patent expire?

bcube

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
when will intel x86 patent expire?
i mean open to every one
i doubt weather patent has expiration(open to public)

Solution

Typically, patents last for around 10 years. So the *original* patent should be expired.

However...

Extensions (SSE) and Additions (AMD X64) can be patented as well, and may be added on an ongoing basis. So no, we're not likely to see (x86) become public domain any time soon.

ulysses35

Distinguished
lets face it we are stuck with X86 for a very long time to come. Most businesses use Windows based machines and most of those will be Intel based machines. I know from a recent check on out Pc's at work that some are still using ol 478 CPU's - and because the software we use works there wont be any upgrades for some time.

Intel know this... there must countless number of old machines out there, and MS playing nicely with Intel will keep some form of backward compatability going for as long as physically possible.

Typically, patents last for around 10 years. So the *original* patent should be expired.

However...

Extensions (SSE) and Additions (AMD X64) can be patented as well, and may be added on an ongoing basis. So no, we're not likely to see (x86) become public domain any time soon.

Solution