EVGA 670 SUPERCLOCKED OR REFRENCE??

lhikary

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
hey guys im really confused on what video card should i get so heres my questions
1 evga gtx 670 4gb sc OR the same without overclocking
2 can i oc the evga gtx 670 4gb to the potential of the sc one? Heres an example
evga sc with overclocking 1100mhz
same without the superclocked 1100mhz
Cuz they both use the same pcb, cooling etc but the sc is oc from the company

3 same thing goes to asus gtx 670 directcu 2 or top? Some ppl werent been able to oc the non top to the oc'ing potential of the top version? Why that happned? Theey both physically identical(correct me if im wrong)

4 thermaltake chaser mk-1..theres a docking port for ssd and hdd..what kind of docking is that? Like sata 2 or sata 3? And where does the docking port wires go to? Like do i connect it to the motherboard or what?

5 how do i achieve dual channel? Or is it a motherboard thing? Or i just use 2 sticks and i get dual channel memory?

My build will be
core i5 3570k
ram g skill 4gb1333mhz(more memory if i needed it which i doubt unless i get dual channel if i pit 2x 4gb)
motherboard: asrock extreme 4-m or gigabyte b75 u3h(the one with msata and one sata 3 port)
case: mentioned above
video card: read above
storage: wd 500gb sata 3 7200rpm(ssd in the future)
screen: 1440x900 (better screen in the near future)
thanks for your help

going to buy it on august
hopefully some gta v requirements gets announced cuz im afraid that gta v will need more than 2gb vram cuz gta iv sucked the life out of my old xfx 9600gt 1gb

Solution
same thing goes to asus gtx 670 directcu 2 or top? Some ppl werent been able to oc the non top to the oc'ing potential of the top version? Why that happned? Theey both physically identical(correct me if im wrong)

You are wrong....the TOP uses selct or "binned" GPUs

There's no hard answer as manufacturer's tend to play games with this stuff. Factory overclocked cards differ from reference cards as follows:

1. They have a factory OC and that's the only difference.

2. They have a factory OC and improved cooler.

3. They have a factory OC, improved cooler and modified PCB

4. They have a factory OC, improved cooler, modified PCB and beefed up VRM

5. They have a factory OC, improved cooler, modified PCB, beefed up VRM...

nna2

Distinguished
it won't require 2GB of Vram, like almost EVERY other game out there, it will retain console support

but if you ever plan on Watercooling, i would buy reference, but if not, go for the factory overclock card

3. some chips just aren't as good as others

4.http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/ProductPhotos.aspx?ID=2048&P=13 at the top that slot is the docking bay, you can stick drives in there with ease for transfer (why would you want to though? lol)

5.if you have a recent pc (discluding the original i3 i5 i7's and sandy bridge extreme) then your pc probably runs in dual channel
ram-dual-channel.jpg

lhikary

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
thqnks!!hmmm will i think i will go with zotac gtx 670 amp or the asus gtx 670 directcu 2 top
and i read that the evga sc version have some diffrent type of chips
well cuz i may get a motherboard with 1 sata 3 port so i would get that case for the docking station
still dont know if its sata 3 or what(the docking station)

same thing goes to asus gtx 670 directcu 2 or top? Some ppl werent been able to oc the non top to the oc'ing potential of the top version? Why that happned? Theey both physically identical(correct me if im wrong)

You are wrong....the TOP uses selct or "binned" GPUs

There's no hard answer as manufacturer's tend to play games with this stuff. Factory overclocked cards differ from reference cards as follows:

1. They have a factory OC and that's the only difference.

2. They have a factory OC and improved cooler.

3. They have a factory OC, improved cooler and modified PCB

4. They have a factory OC, improved cooler, modified PCB and beefed up VRM

5. They have a factory OC, improved cooler, modified PCB, beefed up VRM, VRM coolers and backplates.

6. They have a factory OC, improved cooler, modified PCB, beefed up VRM, VRM coolers, backplates and binned GPUs

The Asus 670 TOP would be in category 5, most EVGA models fall into category 2.

Back with the 560 Ti, Asus TOP had 7 phase VRM, MSI Twin Frozr had 6, EVGA had 4. So ya gotta do a bit of reasearch.

Here's a comparison of the EVGA 670 SC and the Asus 67 TOP

http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-670-sc-review/23
EVGA SC Boost Clock is 1046 outta the box....stable at 1200 Mhz
EVGA SC gets 3DMark Score of 8691 outta the box and 9443 OC'd
Idle temp is 29C / load temp is 78C
Noise is 37 dBA Idle / 43 dBA under load

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/23
Asus TOP Boost Clock is 1137 outta the box .... stable at 1280 Mhz
Asus gets 3DMark Score of 9340 outta the box and 9839 OC'd
Idle temp is 30C / load temp is 72C
Noise is 37 dBA Idle / 38 dBA under load

That makes the Asus 7% faster outta the box than the EVGA SC, 6C cooler and almost 1/4 as loud under load (every 3 dBA is a doubling of sound level). The FTW is slightly faster than the SC, leaving the Asus model w/ just a 5% performance advantage

4 thermaltake chaser mk-1..theres a docking port for ssd and hdd..what kind of docking is that? Like sata 2 or sata 3? And where does the docking port wires go to? Like do i connect it to the motherboard or what?

Not familiar with the MK1 but am with the Antec DF-85. It has a hot swap SSD slot as well as a fixed mount for an SSD.

Yes, RAM is a MoBo chipset thing.....dual channel (1155), triple channel (1366) or quad channel LGA 2011

Solution

lhikary

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

WOW THANKS ALOT!! Thats the info i was looking for and needed for aloooong time :D
so i guess i will go with the zotac 670 amp or asus gtx 670 directcu 2 top depends f they r aavailable
so heres what i will get
motherboard: asrock extreme 4 or any other z77
core i5 3570k
g skill 4gb 1333 one stick
wd 500gb 7200rpm sata3
psu: thermaltake 650w
asus gtx 670 directcu 2 top(reallypopular unlike the zotac)
case:thermaltake chaser mk1
lg19" 1440x900
but i have a last remaining question
is the asus card probs r fixed yet?