• Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2009 11:49:38 AM

Hi all,

So recently I managed to get my hands on a radeon 4850 as an upgrade to my old 4550 that simply wasn't cutting it and was in great need of a replacement. I bought one from novatech.co.uk but they do not specifically state which makes or brands get distributed to you, as it all seems random (reviewers state they have received XFX, Sapphire and ASUS ones etc).

Upon installing my one, I was really puzzled by its absence of a 6-pin PCI-E connector slot. Don't the usual radeon 4850s (as well as all the other 4800 series) require this connection from the PSU?

The make is 'Peak' and I fear I may have been ripped off as well as fallen really unlucky. Why does this one does not require a 6-pin connector? Is there something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.

http://www.pcdropship.com/images/vimg/1/101522.jpg

More about : radeon 4850 pci connector

a c 189 U Graphics card
December 24, 2009 12:04:26 PM

Hi...
I'm surprised too when i see your card's pic.
Could u show us the link to your card's model?
The link where u bought this card...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2009 3:17:19 PM

It's in a funny position, check the back the of card on the side closest the motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2009 3:26:38 PM

I have found others complaining about this card, apparently it IS clocked slower than a standard 4850, and has no Crossfire support built in either? Does your card have the plugins and the Crossfire bridges? If not I would be screaming RIP-OFF. Looks like this is a very stripped down el-cheapo version. They apparently did not adhere to ATI's reference design when they built this. If I were you, I would return it at once and demand a refund.
While the card may seem like a jump from your previous card, it can in no way perform on par with a true 4850 built according to ATI's specs. No way, no how.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2009 3:31:49 PM

Quote:
I agree with jitpublisher return it and demand your money back!

Spend £5 more and get the ATI 5750, its slightly faster than the 4850 and supports DX11.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177335 (free super saver delivery)

^Bingo, yeah what he just said.
December 24, 2009 3:49:22 PM

Quote:
I agree with jitpublisher return it and demand your money back!

Spend £5 more and get the ATI 5750, its slightly faster than the 4850 and supports DX11.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177335 (free super saver delivery)

I think I'll get a refund and get that one instead, looks superb. Just a few quick questions if you wouldn't mind:

will my 800w PSU be alright with it?
does the 5750 use '2 slots', as in either: 1.) 2 power connectors are required 2.) it takes up the space of 2 standard GPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2009 3:54:22 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Here is a link to Newegg, that has better pictures and more detailed specs for you to see.
It takes a single 6 pin power connector.
Your PSU is plenty, plenty big enough to run this card. No worries. You could in fact run 2 or 3 cards with your PSU.
It will physically only plug into 1 slot, but it takes up the room of 2.
The second slots space is used to exhaust hot air out the back of the case, so you are not blowing hot air back into the case...it really is the best way to go.
December 24, 2009 3:56:47 PM

Thanks a bunch for the lifesaver :)  +everyone for their input
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2009 4:25:18 PM

Quote:
He is in the UK, so he can not use Newegg.

The best site for British people are Ebuyer, Novatech, and Dabs.

I posted because they have excellent views of the card he is looking at, and detailed specs listed, and quite a list of comments from buyers (for what that is worth) But he certainly does not have to buy from Newegg, he can buy from where ever he wants or needs to.
December 24, 2009 4:25:40 PM

Quote:
He is in the UK, so he can not use Newegg.

The best site for British people are Ebuyer, Novatech, and Dabs.

Overclockers is good too, and I really thought I could've trusted Novatech but I guess I got really unlucky (man, its xmas and I can't believe this just happened). Instead, I'll probably see what they could do about swapping the 4850 for a 5750 at either no additional cost since the 5750 is more expensive or me simply paying a little bit more but with fast delivery for the trouble.

I'll just see how their customer support/sales fare.
December 30, 2009 12:57:16 PM

:cry:  AAAAAaaargh, I wish I found this last week! I decided to order a 4850 last week and checked out NOVATECH's 4850 via the image of the card on their site. The pictured version is made by POWERCOLOR, seems like a reputable brand so I ordered it. Anyway, it just arrived, I opened the box hoping to see a nice quality card and was greeted with the whiff of chinese SRPB (synthetic resin paper board) circuit board. This alone is a sure sign of something not being quite right. 1)All the decent cards I've ever bought/seen are fibreglass pcb's. 2) The board has no PCI-E power connector! This has me puzzled! Even though a modest board TDP of 160W the GPU on a 4850 can draw 18 AMPS from the 12 volt rail! Theres not a chance in HELL I'm gonna plug a board in and let it draw that kind of current through a mainboard connector! This thing would probably lead to premature mobo failure if not failure of the card itself through thermal effects of heat from the connector affecting the ram/gpu! All in all, thoroughly disappointed with the tech support 'live chat' of NOvatech. Kept cutting me off after rising to the top of the wait list and took a phone call and several menu option later, pressed the one that says you want to reserve a stock item to get a human on the phone! After getting a product return number I emphasised their legal status as to the sale of such items and the trading standards. Anyway, they're arranging pick-up via courier and a refund on return to their distribution centre! I'll NEVER purchase anything from this company again. :o 
!