RAM recommendation for new build

I am looking for 8gb of ram. I am using it mostly for gaming, but many other various tasks as well. I am looking to spend 200-220 on the ram. It looks like across the board, two sets of dual channel memory will be cheaper than buying one set of quad channel.

I am using:

Mobo - ASUS M4A89TD PRO AM3 AMD 890FX

CPU - AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE Thuban 3.2 GHz

CPU cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Here are my questions/concerns:

1. I am aware that the Thuban's memory controller speed supports up to 1333 MHz RAM, so I was thinking of getting that. I don't plan on overclocking, but I was wondering how difficult/risky overclocking the memory controller would be. If it means low risk and I could get 1600mhz, that would be pretty sweet.

2. I have read that tight timings are more important than frequency anyway, but I find them hard to compare. I know smaller numbers are better, but I don't know which numbers are more important.

3. I want cool temperatures, but I am concerned with the height and width of the heat spreaders on some ram. With this mobo cpu fan in mind, what will fit?

Any recommendations or insights to my questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
15 answers Last reply
More about recommendation build
  1. Hi.

This G.Skill 4GB 1600 are a very good option for u.

Why do u need 8GB? unless that u use many adobe applications at the same time the 8GB are a waste of money for now.
  2. These are really good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220407 Patriot specifically make RAM which are suited for gaming, over clocking and multi-tasking. So i think these will suit you, they also have smaller timings then the G.SKill which saint19 posted so they are better, although you will have to pay a little bit more. But it's better to pay more and be happy then to pay less and regret. Still, i really don't understand why you need so much memory. 8GB is too much. I mean even the upcoming Crysis 2 doesn't need more than 2GB of RAM. Ohh and last thing, smaller timings are better than bigger frequency. For example;

2GB 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 are better then 2GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24. But they will also cost more. So keep that in mind.
  3. ^Good timings but don't buy that RAM the voltage is very high for DDR3 and can hurt ur memory controller.
  4. Thanks for all the input! I know the timings are more important than the frequency, but how easy and safe will overclocking the frequency on the memory controller be? I wouldn't want to buy 1600mhz ram if I won't even use it. That patriot is pretty high voltage (1.9v), but would it really hurt the memory controller?

Saint - I see you have a link about the hyper 212+ in your signature, so I'm hoping you know about it. How much room will there be for the ram and possible ram heatsinks?
  5. Well i think that high voltages won't be a problem if you have a proper PSU. I have memory 2.2V and they work fine because i have a very good power supply. Give me the name of your psu please.
  6. nevix13 said:
    Well i think that high voltages won't be a problem if you have a proper PSU. I have memory 2.2V and they work fine because i have a very good power supply. Give me the name of your psu please.

Still deciding between:

SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W
    and
    Corsair 850HX
  7. elivance said:
    Still deciding between:

SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W
    and
    Corsair 850HX

Get the Corsair. Corsair has been awarded the best PSU manufacturer so you can easily trust them. Their products are always high-end and they equip you with cool stuff. Here is a video if you want to get a closer look at what they offer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2ja-WOxyA&feature=related (sorry, the other link was wrong, this is the RIGHT one. sorry :D)

Note*: The 850W XF has pretty much the same stuff as the 750W
  8. IMO u don't need a 850W for that rig with a 650W is more that enough.
  9. That is looking to be a pretty sweet one. I'll probably get that PSU. Thanks for the input!

So the ram controller shouldn't be hurt by the higher voltages? Is this the controller on the CPU that we would be concerned with? To be honest, I don't really know how it works at this level.

What about this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231318&cm_re=g_skill_eco-_-20-231-318-_-Product

G.Skill eco ram. 1333 MHz, and 7-7-7-21-2N. What does the last number mean? The patriot memory was 7-7-7-20. I'm guessing 20 vs 21 isn't a huge difference haha.
    Its only 1.35V...
  10. Ok.

My last opinion.

1- The ECO ram is fine but with the shipping u can get the Ripjaws 1600
    2- Are u sure that u need that PSU? Because unless that u want install two 5970 in Crossfire any 650W PSU can run your rig with OC and Crossfire 5870.

If u want waste ur money do it.
  11. elivance said:
    That is looking to be a pretty sweet one. I'll probably get that PSU. Thanks for the input!

So the ram controller shouldn't be hurt by the higher voltages? Is this the controller on the CPU that we would be concerned with? To be honest, I don't really know how it works at this level.

What about this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231318&cm_re=g_skill_eco-_-20-231-318-_-Product

G.Skill eco ram. 1333 MHz, and 7-7-7-21-2N. What does the last number mean? The patriot memory was 7-7-7-20. I'm guessing 20 vs 21 isn't a huge difference haha.
    Its only 1.35V...

Hmm not really sure what that 2N means and the 20-21 isn't much different but i advise you to buy ram and a psu from a trust worthy company who specialize in their own category, e.g Corsair specialize in power supplies, crucial specialize in performance memory. And all i want to say is that with the Corsair 750w XF the ram voltages won't be a problem. Also, if you have good air flow in your computer, then this will make your ram even better, any RAM above 2.0v tend to heat up high, but with a good PSU and good air flow you should be good. Couple of 120mm fans, 140mm maybe and your fine.
  12. saint19 said:
    Ok.

My last opinion.

1- The ECO ram is fine but with the shipping u can get the Ripjaws 1600
    2- Are u sure that u need that PSU? Because unless that u want install two 5970 in Crossfire any 650W PSU can run your rig with OC and Crossfire 5870.

If u want waste ur money do it.

Do you really think a smaller PSU would be enough? The way I understand it, Crossfiring 5780s requires 600W alone, and I would need more on top of that for everything else. If I could safely crossfire 5870s, and add more hard drives later with a 750, I wouldn't mind saving the money obviously.
  13. I use and recommend mushkin redline enhanced.. ddr3 1600 6-8-6-24 1T with 1.65v
  14. elivance said:
    Do you really think a smaller PSU would be enough? The way I understand it, Crossfiring 5780s requires 600W alone, and I would need more on top of that for everything else. If I could safely crossfire 5870s, and add more hard drives later with a 750, I wouldn't mind saving the money obviously.

Here are the system requirements for the 5870

ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
    500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
    Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
    Minimum 1GB of system memory
    Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
    DVD playback requires DVD drive
    Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
    For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

The recommended PSU is for the entire system, now with the HD u will not add 100W more unless that u add many many HD so, the 650W is enough.
  15. Sweet, this will be some good savings. Thanks for the advice!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM New Build Product