M Celeron 2.2Ghz vs M Pentium 1.5Ghz-heat/noise

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 14, 2004 1:25:11 AM

How does the Mobile Celerons compare to the Moblie Pentiums with the amount
of heat and or noise that they make. I am looking for notebook to do word
proccesing, exel and quickbooks aps so I dont think it needs much
performance. I read about a Celeron 2.2 Ghz running hot and loud fan(I think
it was a Dell ) and I was wondering how it compares to a M Pentium 1.5Ghz
with heat and or noise along with peformance. I dont mind a little bit of
noise or heat (it will be running most the day) but the last laptop I got
was a generic brand P4 and it gets your hands hot and is louder than most
desktops.
Thanks,
Lou
July 14, 2004 10:02:30 PM

Just to let you know, my Inspiron 9100 runs very quiet when I'm not doing
processor intensive tasks. Quieter than my Dimension desktop unit. And
it's got a P4 processor (not M) in it. It does get warm under the wrists,
but not excessive.

I wouldn't get a Celeron processor (M or otherwise) for any application,
personally.

Clint

"Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> How does the Mobile Celerons compare to the Moblie Pentiums with the
amount
> of heat and or noise that they make. I am looking for notebook to do word
> proccesing, exel and quickbooks aps so I dont think it needs much
> performance. I read about a Celeron 2.2 Ghz running hot and loud fan(I
think
> it was a Dell ) and I was wondering how it compares to a M Pentium 1.5Ghz
> with heat and or noise along with peformance. I dont mind a little bit of
> noise or heat (it will be running most the day) but the last laptop I got
> was a generic brand P4 and it gets your hands hot and is louder than most
> desktops.
> Thanks,
> Lou

July 15, 2004 1:12:17 AM

Clint <noone@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
: Just to let you know, my Inspiron 9100 runs very quiet when I'm not doing
: processor intensive tasks. Quieter than my Dimension desktop unit. And
: it's got a P4 processor (not M) in it. It does get warm under the wrists,
: but not excessive.

: I wouldn't get a Celeron processor (M or otherwise) for any application,
: personally.

My Toshiba 1415 has a 2GHZ Celeron in it and the machine is awesome.
It doesn't get that hot, the fan is quiet and it doesn't run
constantly. The mobile Celerons (not to be confused with the Celeron
M which is a scaled-down Pentium M) are not so bad - they have a
larger cache than the desktop versions and are basically P4's
otherwise. I'm very happy with the performance of this machine.

Don't automatically assume a machine will run hot or slow just based
on the CPU - the design of the machine has lots to do with it also.
A Centrino (Pentium M) notebook is most likely to have a cooler,
quieter design however.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----