How to increase my Laptop wireless range?

Hello, i don´t know if there´s a device to improve the wireless range of my laptop, i mean, something that allows me to "catch" longer Wifi spots, so far away from home.

I think there must be something out there, expensive but it exists, i´m not talking about a router/modem, so i hope you can help me!

For example, i found something on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/UP-TO-4-MILE-RANGE-WIFI-USB-ANTENNA-WITH-MARINE-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ260566736480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3caafcde60

Something like that that can be plugged to the computer to improve the range of my lap, thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about increase laptop wireless range
  1. You could spend money or you could spend some time optimising your wireless setup.

Raise the router above furniture level, experiment with channels, choose a channel 5 stops away from strongest neighbouring wifi, relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router.
  2. I am also interested in this question. I work in a small security booth and all i get is a one to zero bar signal and i was experimenting with store bought wireless extenders (aka the cisco wireless usbs that come with the usb to usb extender) but none has seemed to work. I am still doing some research and some searching on the net on how to *catch* a better signal. If i find anything i will defiantly fill you in.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Wireless Laptops Wireless Networking