How to increase my Laptop wireless range?

TheComposer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Hello, i don´t know if there´s a device to improve the wireless range of my laptop, i mean, something that allows me to "catch" longer Wifi spots, so far away from home.

I think there must be something out there, expensive but it exists, i´m not talking about a router/modem, so i hope you can help me!

For example, i found something on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/UP-TO-4-MILE-RANGE-WIFI-USB-ANTENNA-WITH-MARINE-MOUNT_W0QQitemZ260566736480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3caafcde60

Something like that that can be plugged to the computer to improve the range of my lap, thanks!

G

You could spend money or you could spend some time optimising your wireless setup.

Raise the router above furniture level, experiment with channels, choose a channel 5 stops away from strongest neighbouring wifi, relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router.

caleapple

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I am also interested in this question. I work in a small security booth and all i get is a one to zero bar signal and i was experimenting with store bought wireless extenders (aka the cisco wireless usbs that come with the usb to usb extender) but none has seemed to work. I am still doing some research and some searching on the net on how to *catch* a better signal. If i find anything i will defiantly fill you in.

TRENDING THREADS