Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A sheepish questions

Last response: in Memory
July 16, 2010 7:23:20 PM

I am helping my younger brother with buying ram for a new computer he has bought that he would like to upgrade to themax on ram. The specs for the ram it can take are below DDR3 PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) • 6-6-6-20 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 • (240 pin DIMM) I pulled the specs off a set of ballistix ddr3 ram I was looking at getting him. (System is coming with 4 gigs of ram and can max out at 8 gigs).

My question comes from the fact i have bought and installed a fair bit of ram but I am not much into overclockingor serious system modifications beyond adding or removing parts and I found I have no idea what the 6-6-6-20 or such numbers truely means in the ram descriptions. Anyone who can enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate it. The ram is going in a gateway one gx6900-33 all in one system.

My other question has to do with dual channel ram. Is this already dual channel or should am I missing something? I have gotten behind the tiems on desk tops anymore as I don't try to keep up (still rocking my 2.01 ghz hp pavilion A320N).

More about : sheepish questions

a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 1:06:29 AM

evilavatar said:
I am helping my younger brother with buying ram for a new computer he has bought that he would like to upgrade to themax on ram. The specs for the ram it can take are below DDR3 PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) • 6-6-6-20 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 • (240 pin DIMM) I pulled the specs off a set of ballistix ddr3 ram I was looking at getting him. (System is coming with 4 gigs of ram and can max out at 8 gigs).

My question comes from the fact i have bought and installed a fair bit of ram but I am not much into overclockingor serious system modifications beyond adding or removing parts and I found I have no idea what the 6-6-6-20 or such numbers truely means in the ram descriptions. Anyone who can enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate it. The ram is going in a gateway one gx6900-33 all in one system.

The number sequence you're refering to is known as the memory timing. In the BIOS, these values are set to the CAS, tRCD, tRP, & tRAS in order to achieve the RAM module's full potential. If we take the RAM in question, you would assign these values:
CAS: 6
tRCD: 6
tRP: 6
tRAS: 20

evilavatar said:
My other question has to do with dual channel ram. Is this already dual channel or should am I missing something? I have gotten behind the tiems on desk tops anymore as I don't try to keep up (still rocking my 2.01 ghz hp pavilion A320N).

I can't find anything on Crucial's website stating whether or not the DDR3-1333 Ballistix are dual channel. Here is a link to the RAM you mentioned.
m
l

Best solution

July 17, 2010 1:47:46 AM

I am confused. Are the memory specs you list the requirements for the gx6900-33 or the ballistix memory you are getting?

I tried to find the system specs for the gx6900 but could not find that model - or anything similar - on the Gateway site. A search found no matches. Can you post a link to the specs on the Gateway site?

On the memory timing, the lower the timer the faster the timing. The first number is the most important. Generally speaking, for memory with the same same speed, memory with CAS latency timing of 8 is going to be almost one third slower than memory with a timing of 6 ( [(8-6)/6]. Note that this a a generalization and a lot of other factors - including the other timings - come into play.

The CAS latency you listed - 6-6-6-20 is highly unusual for DDR3-1333 memory. In fact, newegg shows about 150 diffent models with that speed and none of them have timings that fast. ABout half have CAS 7 and half CAS 9.

That memory is dual channel - I venture to say that just about any PC memory at that speed will be dual channel. However it is possible that the particularly fast timings might be problematical on a Gateway computer.

Does the Gateway computer provide any kind of list of compatible memory? Alternatively, does Crucial? I checked their site and their memory finder does not list that computer model - nor anything with the gx prefix.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listproductline.aspx?mfgr=...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 19, 2010 1:53:09 PM

The specs were from the crucial ballistix ram that I was looking at getting him. I just pulled the genreal specs off the Gateway to see what they said the gateway can take for ram. Basically all they say is the computer supports a dual channel, unbuffered, non ECC 240 pins ddr3-1333 ram (up to 8 gigs) . The Computer comes with 4 gigs installed, but it is of course 4 1 gig dimms. I was asking on the latency as it was also the lowest latency numbered ram I had found and I thought maybe I was reading this wrong.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BL2...

They don't list on the site if the ram is dual channel but I kind of thought all the ballistix ram was.

To find the model it is under the gateway "one" series. (It's a multimedia all in one desktop.) I am looking at shelling out for the ram becuase the computer is an all in one and comes with an integral video card so I am hoping the ram can save him from having to buy another card later (he isn't going to game or anything so i am hoping the maxed ram will make up for what is being shared for the video usages he will have.)
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:53:16 PM

As I said before, I checked the Gateway site for the GX series model, and even did a search for that term, and found absolutely nothing. My checking included specifically looking at the Gateway "one" model and the only series listed as the ZX model. Will you please provide a link to the details on your computer.

Like I said I also checked the Crucial site and they did not list that memory. I would be extremely hesitant to go to the faster timinig without some assurance from either Gateway or Crucial, other wise you might pay a lot for a marginal increase in performance while introducing some instability to the system.

What is the speed and latency of the existing RAM? What is the CPU? I am not sure increasing the RAM will be worth the cost. It may not have much impact.
m
l
July 29, 2010 8:36:12 PM

I'm sorry, it is the ZX series. I was having a dislecix moment I guess :?
m
l
July 29, 2010 8:36:31 PM

Best answer selected by evilavatar.
m
l
!