Stupid Question About Memory

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Crucial
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
July 16, 2010 7:33:36 PM

Hello, I have recently been interested in these Crucial Memory sticks:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/18458/Crucial...

I read reviews about them and they perform really good, and they are also good for overclocking. As you can see these are 2x1GB sticks, which i am not familiar with. This is due to the fact that i ALWAYS buy 2x2GB sticks. And i know that you can put memory sticks in the wrong way, which could damage them or create problems when running the system.

So my question is, is there any difference in 1GB memory sticks? Is there some other way of putting them in? Like 2 of them one way and the other 2 the other. I just want to be cautious, that's all.

I plan on buying 4x1GB memory sticks (the crucial one's) and i just want to know if i can and if there is a proper way of inputting them.

If you need to know, my motherboard is a: ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Thanks.

More about : stupid question memory

a c 82 } Memory
July 16, 2010 7:43:40 PM

Memory modules only fit one way as they're keyed. It's up to you, but I would buy a 2x2GB kit and I'd stay away from modules that require that much voltage on a P5Q Deluxe (unless they are on the QVT).
July 16, 2010 7:44:39 PM

Really all ram can only go in the slot one way. The connectors all point down. The trick is to make sure that if you can they are paired and that they are all the same kind of dimm/Simm at the same speed and compatible with your system.
Related resources
July 16, 2010 7:59:23 PM

So if i buy 4x1GB of those crucial ram, which are all the same then they should work properly right?
July 16, 2010 8:02:18 PM

yes they should as long as the system has 4 slots for ram, you can use 4 gigs with your system (I have an older system with 2 slots that maxed out at 2 gigs) and the ram is all the same type and correct for your system. If you are not sure use crucials downloadable scanner or look up your system. (you can't put ddr3 ram in a system that takes ddr2 and vice versa) .
July 16, 2010 8:03:07 PM

GhislainG said:
Memory modules only fit one way as they're keyed. It's up to you, but I would buy a 2x2GB kit and I'd stay away from modules that require that much voltage on a P5Q Deluxe (unless they are on the QVT).

What are you trying to say? 2.2 V is too much for my Motherboard? Or is that just unusual for such memory? What memory do you recommend then, i need 1066MHz, PC2 8500, 240 Pin DIMM, DDR2, and i need 2x2 or 4x1.
July 16, 2010 8:08:48 PM

evilavatar said:
yes they should as long as the system has 4 slots for ram, you can use 4 gigs with your system (I have an older system with 2 slots that maxed out at 2 gigs) and the ram is all the same type and correct for your system. If you are not sure use crucials downloadable scanner or look up your system. (you can't put ddr3 ram in a system that takes ddr2 and vice versa) .

Yeh my motherboard offers 4 slots, and all i want is 4gb memory so it will either be 4x1 or 2x2. But i've heard and read that 1gb sticks over clock better. So this is probably the only reason why i want to choose 1gb sticks over 2gb sticks.
July 16, 2010 8:13:37 PM

I think the point he is trying to mkae is that is a lot of voltage for ram. most will draw about 1.5-1.7v and if all of your voltage is taken by ram you are running a tight ship in terms of power usage for everything else if your PSU is not big enough. And in looking for your motherboard I only see 2 slots for ram on the website I am looking at, what model computer are you on?
July 16, 2010 8:26:35 PM

Well i have a Corsair 750W XF Power Supply so i don't think that the voltage will be a problem since this PSU is one of the best lol. As for the motherboard thing, here is a pic of my mobo:

http://pic.xfastest.com/MB/ASUS/P5Q-Deluxe/p5q-deluxe-1...

as you can see i do have 4 slots. Are you sure you're looking at the deluxe version? there are many P5Q versions and they all differ.
July 16, 2010 8:51:18 PM

ahh nevermind, this picture i had you couldn't see the black slots lol. As long as you have enough cooling power in your case the wattage shouldn't matter that much I guess (with that much wattage in your psu it shouldn't be a big deal with the ram voltage but they may get hotter than lower voltage models). As to 4 1 gig dimms being better to overclock than 2 2 gig ones, I was given the analogy of having an underage drinking party and the cops showing up. If you are underage having 4 doors to go through is better than having 2 as you can push more through the 4 exits than 2 (even if the difference is 3-4 percent you have 3-4 percent times 4 instead of 2).

I guess the question for suggestions is do you want high end or cheapest you can get?

If money is no object you can through in something like this corsair ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Desktop+Memory)-_-Corsair+(XMS+Series)-_-20145043

or this ocz reaper http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_p... (the reaper ram is awesome for the price but spendy.
July 16, 2010 9:00:42 PM

evilavatar said:
ahh nevermind, this picture i had you couldn't see the black slots lol. As long as you have enough cooling power in your case the wattage shouldn't matter that much I guess (with that much wattage in your psu it shouldn't be a big deal with the ram voltage but they may get hotter than lower voltage models). As to 4 1 gig dimms being better to overclock than 2 2 gig ones, I was given the analogy of having an underage drinking party and the cops showing up. If you are underage having 4 doors to go through is better than having 2 as you can push more through the 4 exits than 2 (even if the difference is 3-4 percent you have 3-4 percent times 4 instead of 2).

I guess the question for suggestions is do you want high end or cheapest you can get?

If money is no object you can through in something like this corsair ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Desktop+Memory)-_-Corsair+(XMS+Series)-_-20145043

or this ocz reaper http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_p... (the reaper ram is awesome for the price but spendy.

Hehe funny, i had these 2 memory sticks + the crucial in my top 3 and i had to decide between these 3. So the reason why i actually choose the Crucial over the other 2 is because the crucial has better timings than the OCZ, the Crucial has the same timings as the Corsair yet i know from experience and reviews that crucial make better ram then corsair on an over all average, plus, the crucials are less expensive. I really do think im gonna stick with these crucials. And i can always return them and get the corsair instead.
July 16, 2010 9:05:36 PM

true, I love the ocz reapers because they run cooler than other ram so you can overclock the heck out of them, the issue is they only come in 2 gig dimms so you can't get as much out of overclocking them as 4 1 gig dimms.
July 16, 2010 9:34:11 PM

Alright then. It's settled, im going to buy the Crucial memory, and if they heat up too much then i've just impove my air flow in my system, and if that doesn't help then i'll just trade them for something else.
!