Solved

Cpus

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Asus
Last response: in CPUs
March 3, 2010 4:00:51 PM

I need serious help guys.
just a few days ago I presented a problem with an older motherboard an Asus P5GZ-MX and trying to find a suitable cpu upgrade.

I was supplied with an Intel Pent. E5400 which two people were so nice enough to come back and tell me that....well, ain't no way it's gonna work :) 

So, I went out and got something on Asus' list an Intel Pent. E6300, working at 45nm which I was told would work.
Freg. 2.80GHZ
FSB1066MHZ
the right socket, at LGA 775,
L2 cache and PCG 06

I saw on Asus' site that it would work, or at least eveything was the same except the speed, Asus said 1.8 GHZ, but I figured that would not matter.

But still, even with the bios totally updated to 0801, when I switch the processor and the heatsink/fan.......and i fire it up....nothing....nada, the screen shows nothing.

I feel like such a dumbass, like I am missing something but I really can't find what. Unless it really comes down to the speed, according to Asus' website, requiring 1.8 instead of 2.8.

I don't know enough for sure and I definitely need any help at all guys, I hate to bother you yet again and ask for support, but I need it bigtime, call in the airbourne and drop those suckers down, cause I am going down bigtime.

Thanks again,

Brian

More about : cpus

March 3, 2010 4:37:36 PM

I should add that I am running with a 32 bit processor
and on the box it says, Intel 64 Architecture for 64-bit Computing.
so do i need to have a system running at 64 bits?? which I can, I just didn't think it was required.

Thanks again
m
l
March 3, 2010 4:41:18 PM

Do you get anything on screen at all?. Check the simples first, for example the cpu power is connected etc. But unfortunatley you have the wrong CPU, your motherboard only supports the 1.8ghz E6300. (90 percent sure)
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2010 4:42:12 PM

shybri69 said:
I should add that I am running with a 32 bit processor
and on the box it says, Intel 64 Architecture for 64-bit Computing.
so do i need to have a system running at 64 bits?? which I can, I just didn't think it was required.

Thanks again

No, You cpu will run a 32 bit OS.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2010 4:44:45 PM

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think your motherboard supports the E6300 chip :( 
March 3, 2010 4:46:21 PM

I have been working with computers since the age of 13 yrs, I am now 41 yrs old, but I have do admit when it comes to CPU's I am utterly useless.

And for the record, again, I get nothing, nada, just the screen light blinking on and off, I am getting very frustrated and all my years mean nothing, compared to this beast of a problem.
m
l
March 3, 2010 4:47:18 PM

BUT according to Asus' site, THEIR SITE, it does!!! :(  :(  :(  :( 
that is why i switched :( 

I swear, as the good lord is my witness it's right there on their page, the only one difference is speed.

They say 1.8, but I have a 2.8 but everything else, to, the, letter, is the exact same.

m
l
March 3, 2010 4:49:18 PM

Im glad to see the computing world movign so fast, but some times it's a little to fast!. So whats the plan now?. what do you use your computer for?

if its just general use then go find the right cpu, she'll be somewhere. but if your wanting something more like games, or a good HTPC, I'd personally sell your current parts and upgrade :) 
m
l
March 3, 2010 4:55:55 PM

personaly, I know an upgrade is 2 YEARS over due.
I want to play around with my old one, I want a CPU that works, for an upgrade to the Pent. 4 I currently have onboard.
The new system works just fine, gees, for over three freakin grand I would hope it works fine :) 
but I cannot say this enough, I want to upgrade THIS cpu and ASUS has it on their site as being upgradable, so I want to do it, I don't see why this can't be done, other then contacting my lawyers and taking to them about Asus because clearly this cpu does not work, maybe I am very very wrong, I don't know I just need help.
m
l
March 3, 2010 4:59:09 PM

and thanks Marsay001 I do really appreciate any help :)  thumbs up
m
l
March 4, 2010 12:05:12 AM

anybody????

Asus says it will work, but short of the speed....nada thing....
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 5:34:14 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!