Replacing Vertex3 Max Iops 120Gb -- Suggestions?

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hi all,

Ive been using a 120Gb Vertex 3 Max Iops :) as my OS drive and have just about filled it up. Its time to get a larger SSD for my workstation but there are alot of options so I would like your help.
Not sure if anything has surpassed the Max Iops so I thought I would ask you guys before buying.

Must be:
Sata III (or faster - for example RevoDrive 3)
240Gb or larger
Under $500
Support TRIM/ be reliable (So Im ruling out Raiding anything)

I want something that is at worst comparable to my current Vertex 3 Max Iops.
The new RevoDrive 3 is :eek: FAST :eek: but doesnt support trim and has to be cleared every now and then from what I hear :??: (not a good idea for OS drive). So I think the Revo 3 is a no go.

What should I get?

And Thnx.

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Looks like maybe this has boiled down to Max IOPs vs Patriot Wildfire vs OWC Mercury Extreme Pro....unless there are better ideas out there.

Should I stick with Max Iops and get the 240Gb version or go with something else?
I do value reliability & my current 120GB Max Iops was fine.

If reliability is a major concern, Samsung staged a major coup. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Recently Samsung released their new 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. Although the ssd has only been available to consumers for a few months it looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Cool. Thnx for the input.
Lots of info there but I dont have the time to understand it all.

Would I be wrong to go with the 240GB Max IOPS or Wildfire or Mercury Extreme Pro?
I remember reading something about the nand(?) used being different and thusly more reliable......thats why I chose Max IOPS over Vertex3 to begin with.

Thoughts?

Any of the three ssd's you mentioned should be okay. It looks like most of the major issues with SandForce equipped ssd's have been taken care of.

There have been concerns about nand but so far there haven't been any major issues. Actual issues are usually associated with the controller and firmware. OCZ and SandForce got hit pretty hard.