Sign in with
Your question

What 500GB/1TB drives are single platter?

Last response: in Storage
December 7, 2011 2:29:47 AM

trying to buy a backup drive for my satellite dvr (dish network) and they require a single-platter(?) drive no flash memory and a dedicated power supply. ??

cannot find specs on different make drives for these requirements.

thanks
a c 87 ) Power supply
a c 116 G Storage
December 8, 2011 1:15:05 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

I don't understand why the backup drive should be single platter. Single platter is hard to come by in 500 GBs or 1 TB. Sometimes, the instructions are not well written (Chinese English or Indian English).

Contact tech support and ask questions.
m
l
December 8, 2011 1:45:57 AM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

I don't understand why the backup drive should be single platter. Single platter is hard to come by in 500 GBs or 1 TB. Sometimes, the instructions are not well written (Chinese English or Indian English).

Contact tech support and ask questions.

I have the same issue/need. It's a Dish DVR requirement to download recorded movies. Once the external hard drive is connected by USB the DVR is programmed to format the external drive to a linux format before downloading the recording. In my case My combo/DVR is also gone bad so I'm trying to download to an external HDD so that I can access my recordings with the replacement DVR unit that Dish sent me. The external hard drive does not have to be as big as 500 GB in my case as I probably only need about half of that for my recordings but 500 GB is pretty reasonable if the external HDD is used as an expansion to increase the capacity of the drive inside the DVR. Dish spec just says that the external HDD needs to be between 50 GB and 2 TB. If anyone knows how to obtain a single platter HDD with own power source at whatever capacity (the higher the better) that is available on the market please advise.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2011 2:46:45 AM

For SATA III, most 500GB are single platter. 1TB try Seagate and Samsung. I don't think WD is. The 2TB single platter ones might be already released, but I am not sure. I am not sure of the correct way to have its own power source.
m
l
December 11, 2011 3:17:29 PM

I was able to find the platter (disk) number information for a given drive on the OEM's supplier specification. I only tried to look them up for Hitachi and Seagate drives so far and was able to find them on their websites so you should be able to do the same for any manufacturer. Hitachi has an internal drive that goes all the way up to 1 TB, model HDS721010DLE630/1 and I was thinking of using it with my hard drive enclosure which basically turn it into an external drive but I have not tried it yet as I'm still shopping around for a good price. Let me know if you have trouble finding those specs and I'll try to send a link for one.
m
l
December 14, 2011 11:17:35 PM

harolddav said:
trying to buy a backup drive for my satellite dvr (dish network) and they require a single-platter(?) drive no flash memory and a dedicated power supply. ??

cannot find specs on different make drives for these requirements.

thanks

i was able to find a Seagate Freeagent goflex desk external drive 1 terabyte capacity with usb 3.0 and also usb 2.0 Which Dish requires. cost $139.00 it works perfect but defaults to the usb 2.0. take about 2.5 minutes to transfer an hours work of program. thanks for your info.
m
l
December 17, 2011 11:44:36 PM

sz02 said:
I have the same issue/need. It's a Dish DVR requirement to download recorded movies. Once the external hard drive is connected by USB the DVR is programmed to format the external drive to a linux format before downloading the recording. In my case My combo/DVR is also gone bad so I'm trying to download to an external HDD so that I can access my recordings with the replacement DVR unit that Dish sent me. The external hard drive does not have to be as big as 500 GB in my case as I probably only need about half of that for my recordings but 500 GB is pretty reasonable if the external HDD is used as an expansion to increase the capacity of the drive inside the DVR. Dish spec just says that the external HDD needs to be between 50 GB and 2 TB. If anyone knows how to obtain a single platter HDD with own power source at whatever capacity (the higher the better) that is available on the market please advise.

Seagate

I found a Seagate GoFlex 1Terabyte backup drive using usb 3.0 + 2.0 which worked perfect with my Dish network DVR. Took 10 minutes to format it and backs up automatically using USB 2.0 as default. Takes about 2.30 minutes to back up a one hr. taped program from the DVR to the GoFlex drive. hope this helps you.
m
l
!