Sign in with
Your question

VPN Problems with 2 wire.

Last response: in Networking
December 13, 2009 11:39:14 AM

I have an att all in one (wireless router + modem in the same box) 2 wire that att supplied me with.

For the VPN Server, I am using Windows Ent. Server 2003, and for the client, I am using the standard windows vpn client.

The server is punched through the firewall for pptp and I have even tried puting the server in dmz mode to no avail.

Here is the kicker

If I am trying to connect to the network from a remote location with another 2wire att all in one router, the vpn will work fine! If I try to connect to the network from any other connection that is not att dsl with the all in one 2 wire box, it will not work and returns with an error 800 code.

Anyone know a way around this? Or should I just try another branded router/modem and not deal with the headache. I have had nothing but problems with the 3 2wire boxes I have had experiences with, and all 3 would not let me change my wireless encription or ssid name.

Thanks in advance

More about : vpn problems wire

December 15, 2009 12:10:10 PM

What exactly are you trying to set this up to do? You can't go running around with a company's modem and using it on anyone's network. At least that is what it partially sounds like.
m
l
December 15, 2009 8:23:16 PM

riser said:
What exactly are you trying to set this up to do? You can't go running around with a company's modem and using it on anyone's network. At least that is what it partially sounds like.

Sorry if I worded it bad,

On the network containing the vpn server (w2k3 ent.), we have the 2 wire all in one. (WORK)

If I go a sister location, that uses the same model 2 wire all in one, the vpn will work.

I can then take the same laptop, go home, to a coffee shop, or another business, and the vpn will not work. Anywhere else I have tried this aside from the sister location, uses another isp (charter, speednet, skyweb, etc) and they do not use the 2 wire all in ones for there modem/router.

Also, the laptop I am using for testing IS joined to the domain of the work network.

At this point if nobody has any suggestions I will replace it next chance I get with a motorola dsl modem and a dlink router... and see if I get better results.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2009 1:18:54 PM

How are the 2wires configured to each other? It is possible that your 2wire at work is blocking outside your ISP's network. Meaning if its not on their own network, it would block it.
That would be a configuration on the work 2wire.

From a remote location, are you able to ping the external IP of the 2wire at work? Just to see if its out there and then if so, try using something else, maybe Remote Admin on the router to see if you can access it.
m
l
December 17, 2009 12:56:42 AM

riser said:
How are the 2wires configured to each other? It is possible that your 2wire at work is blocking outside your ISP's network. Meaning if its not on their own network, it would block it.
That would be a configuration on the work 2wire.

From a remote location, are you able to ping the external IP of the 2wire at work? Just to see if its out there and then if so, try using something else, maybe Remote Admin on the router to see if you can access it.

I can ping our public ip address, but I do not know what port to use for remote management. There is just a check box for on or off and does not have a setting for the port... cant find it out either on a google search or from there website.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try another modem/router set up and see where I get.
m
l
!