Urbz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi .

I'm starting with the biggest issue ...never oc nothing in my life, I did read a lot about but all this blck, vid,and the rest of the sort terms tells me nothing.
Have build a decent oc for gaming but mostly for cs6. Here are the stats
I7 3930k on a dx79si cooled buy a H100 pull-push noctuas...running 32g of rip jaws at 1600mhz and finally the gtx 670 ftw . Everything it's juiced by seasonic x 1050 w psu.
Now I opened the intel extreme utility and set the core voltage at 1.250 and the multipliers to 40 than run 1 hour of prime95
Hottest core got 70c max. My idle hottest core it's 40c.
Right now I'm on 1.250 v set. And multipliers at 42 running prime ....hottest I got till now it's 71c...I'm in 30 min right now...
I'm I doing it right? Core temp shos 1.3311v....why? Bios it's a other world for me....but I'm willing to try.
Why my idle it's 40? It is to high I've been reeding ppl with 20+ in idle....I have a corsair switch 810 case plenty of air circulation. Just put me in the right path jedi's. Thx.

drums101

Distinguished
you are kinda doing it backwards...what you want to do is start off with a low voltage then raise the bclck testing it each time until it becomes unstable then raising the voltage and repeating the process until you get to the desired speed that you want...keep in mind i think that 70c max load is a little high for 24/7 oc but I have been doing that for 3 years now on a i7 950 and it hasnt died yet. the reason why the voltage is different in windows/core temp then the bios is because of a thing called vdrop....its impossible to overcome just a fact of oc'ing.....if your temps are not where you think they should be make sure there is not alot of dust build up in the system no cables are blocking air flow and if that doesnt solve it you could reapply the thermal paste make sure there is enough but not too much

Urbz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Thank you for getting back at me....bclck...have no idea what's that....
What I did I raised the max turbo multipliers to 42 ....and core voltage as is named here to 1.250 v ....I believe it's not really a 24/7 because the CPU MHz changes depending on how hard I use it...it goes down to 3.2 and in prime it goes up to 4.2.
Should I just increase the multiplayer till its on stable?

drums101

Distinguished
what i mean by bclck is the multiplier.....and by 24/7 i mean you leave the settings like this 24/7.....what you should do is set the multipliers to stock and then lower the voltage as low as you can go until it is unstable then go back to the setting above it...then raise the multipliers until it becomes unstable....then raise the vcore voltage up a notch then raise the multiplier up again until it becomes unstable...repeat this process until you get your desired speed...this way you have the lowest voltage possible for your desired speed. this takes a long time to do but you wont regret it once its done.

Urbz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I'm so upset....I don't know what I did....now everything it's back as it was but my CPU can't go higher than 3.6 worst than stock..3.8
Max turbo multi set to 38 the voltage it's default ...I don't know what happened...

drums101

Distinguished
just load defaults in the bios then you will be back where you started....once you do that take the voltage off of auto and set it to like 1.15 for the vcore....then up the multiplier until it is not stable

Urbz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Loaded def. get back to see...same as I start prime or even the intel stress it doesn't go higher than 3.5....did I screw up my CPU? The bios shows max 38 on turbo and intel extrem shows 38 but soon as I stress the CPU falls back to 3.5

drums101

Distinguished
so did you load the defaults? or not yet? if you did load the defaults and its still doing that that is weird you didnt skrew up your cpu lol so dont worry it is something we can figure out...if you skrewed it up it would have temps through the roof and would be crashing or not even turning on

drums101

Distinguished
I am not 100 percent positive bc I have never really tested a chip at stock settings but when all cores are active the chip doesnt go up to 3.8 thats only when one thread is active. so you are fine.....If you want to make sure you could crack open ur pc and remove the motherboard battery for 1 minute and that will ensure everything is back to its original settings

Urbz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Soon as I disable the turbo technology the only multiplier witch it shows it's the non turbo multi witch is at 32 but it dos not allowed me to change it ....if u have a email I can send u 2 pic with the intel extr. Showing the mess...

drums101

Distinguished
No I hear ya man people get into flame wars pretty easily on the internet its ridiculous thats why I assumed your comment was meant as an attack

believe me I am no rich mammas boy on the salary that I make haha

Urbz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
really need to get some sleep in...few min ago just throw out all my dinner....some kinda flu got me...im sorry urban dont mean to be disrespectful...ur here to help me and i leave...but i cant stay anymore in the fron of the pc....need to laid down...ill get back tomorrow night-ish. thank you and just leave any other thoughts on