Dec 26, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next 2 weeks BUDGET RANGE: ~$1100

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, headset/speakers, additional storage hdd

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, frys COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: quality brands, midtower case

OVERCLOCKING: maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Not gonna be very picky, been out of the loop for a while with an outdated PC and am planning this for my first build.

I've already compiled a wish list of stuff I thought looked like good buys after doing some light research and asking around:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11099291

I've already purchased the HDD, psu, and dvd drive from that list since they were on sale during the holidays.

I don't really have my heart set on any of this except for the i5. As for the ram, I've been looking at a set of Eco Gskill DDR3 , but I am not sure if it would be compatible with my mobo or even be worth it over the ripjaws. From what I've read, the 25.5'' Asus is decent for a 1920x1200 while not being too pricey. I may need to step down to a 1080 res if I have trouble finding it. I will most likely be buying the monitor from frys and anything else if it ends up being cheaper there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Yeah, get a regular ATX board.
Try this:
Gigabyte P55-UD3R
Or if you really need to get a cheaper one go for this:
Gigabyte P55-UD3L
Only go for a micro ATX Board if you're gonna go for a micro ATX case. :D Otherwise you may as well fill up what'cha got. :)

Also, you should probably go for the new generation video card.
XFX Radeon HD 5770 Overclocked
Why?

Also, don't be surprised when your 550W PSU isn't enough to power your system. It may be, but it's extremely borderline. I'd suggest the Corsair 750TX or 650TX if there's a way for you to return the Antec (Try it...

darknova_

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
for one thing if you were honestly considering buying this for the main purpose of playing games then i have to recommend that you get a regular atx mobo so later on you can use sli or xfire and get some more time out of this system

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Yeah, get a regular ATX board.
Try this:
Gigabyte P55-UD3R
Or if you really need to get a cheaper one go for this:
Gigabyte P55-UD3L
Only go for a micro ATX Board if you're gonna go for a micro ATX case. :D Otherwise you may as well fill up what'cha got. :)

Also, you should probably go for the new generation video card.
XFX Radeon HD 5770 Overclocked
Why?

Also, don't be surprised when your 550W PSU isn't enough to power your system. It may be, but it's extremely borderline. I'd suggest the Corsair 750TX or 650TX if there's a way for you to return the Antec (Try it first of course!).

Everything else looks fine although you should keep in mind that if you've got another storage drive, the 640GB WD Black would have been much faster than the 750GB version.

Solution

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
There shouldn't be any significant difference between the ECOs and the ripjaws you have listed. I would personally get the ECOs. If you're looking to save an insignificant amount of money, in the long run the ECOs will save you a bit with the lowered voltage over the free shipping. If you plan on overclocking, the lowered voltage on the ECOs also give you more breathing room in tweaking. Again, the added performance for the average gamer will be insignificant.

I agree on going with an 5770. Here, the question will be whether you truly need the extra performance a 4890 gives you. If not, then picking a mobo that can crossfire will be a good investment for future games. Dual 5770 scales really well if you choose to pick another one up in the future.

Here is an affordable mobo that crossfires at dual x8:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138162&cm_re=t5_xe-_-13-138-162-_-Product

Also, get the 300 illusion over the regular 300. Same price, better airflow.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&Tpk=antec%20300%20illusion

Not even gonna try to find an in stock f3, so a single 500gb platter 7200.12 would be faster than the caviar black you have listed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395&cm_re=7200.12-_-22-148-395-_-Product

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

The 5770 is basically a rebranded 4890 with loads of extra features. DX11, Eyefinity, all that good stuff, and pretty much the same performance as the 4890.

darknova_

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009

i woukd go with raybo on the gigabyte p55-ud3r

moush

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Looks like I'll probably be choosing the p55-ud3r mobo over the ud2. I'm going to look into getting a 5770, but does anyone know of a decent one? Also, I'll probably be going with the gskill eco ram and check out the antec 300 illusion.

Thanks again for all the input.

TRENDING THREADS