Overclocking my 945--- Noob

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys... this is pretty urgent, becaus messing around with the speed of my cpu I messed something up.

Im trying to OC my Phenom II x4 945 with my Extreme3 970 by ASRock.

I changed the cpu frequency from 200 to 210 to see what happened. Nothing. Now when I changed it back my CPU wont go to 3.0 ghz and my computer is running very slow...

What did I do? and How do I overclock this succesfully thanks!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Alright I tweaked a little bit, and I am running at 3.3ghz at about 50-51C under load. I am using the stock cooler... I also have the ram O/C a little. Can I go to 3.6ghz while keeping around 55C?

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Alright...Well as of right now at 3.45ghz I ran at 50C under load...isnt that still fine?

When I O/C ram one bump up I got 2 blue screens...I use 3 DIfferent Brands of 1333ghz DDR3... So I turned off the O/C on ram. Will that fix my issue?

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
UPDATE:

At 3.6ghz im at 45C idle... 54C at load, Is that alright untill I get a new cooler?

Also.. Memory. I have 2 Brands. One calls for 1.65 one calls for 1.5 So I O/C the Ram and Set the voltage to 1.5v... what will happen?

sedativechunk

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
If heat limits are your main concern beyond the OC, you should check your motherboard settings. I have a gigabyte motherboard, I don't know about yours but mine I can set an alarm if it goes past 60 C.

Also, you are an AMD user. I don't know if I am 100% right or wrong here but I thought I would tell you anyway. I don't know about your AMD but on mine your overclock values maybe different than what you are seeing. You should download and install "AMD Overdrive". I don't want you to use this to overclock (its better to overclock in your BIOS like you've been doing). Instead, in AMD Overdrive, you will see under the "clock/voltage" tab there will be your "target speed" and "current speed". Current speed in AMD Overdrive will give you a more accurate reading of your current processor speed than CPU-Z or DXDIAG.

If you left your AMD Turbo on in the bios, you could be hitting between 3.8-4.2GHz on each core and not even know it! The thing is, it's NOT stable. In this case you will want to turn off your turbo if you haven't already. That way you can get a better stable speed on each core. Maybe you did this already but it is something AMD has (and now the intel processors as well with turbo).