Laboratory Reagent Grade Water?

andrew63447

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Because I work in a clinical chemistry research lab I have access to reagent grade water, does anyone know if the reagent grade stuff will cause damage to a watercooling setup due to extreme purity or would it be better to just use our DI taps? And yes even the sinks in clinical labs only pump out deionized water for anyone who is wondering what I'm talking about.

here is a link to the reagent grade stuff
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/fsproductdetail?LBCID=58181708&catalogId=29104&productId=4754867&langId=-1&storeId=10652&distype=2&isChemical=false&fromSearch=0

The DI taps are filtered by a Siemens Medica link below
http://www.water.siemens.com/en/products/laboratory_water/water_purification_systems/Pages/medica_water_purification_system_for_clinical_analyzers.aspx

Solution
I worked in a physics lab and simply used the deionised water from my labs. It's been in my system for nearly 6 months now and not the slightest bit of mould or algae yet (I did use a few drops of an additive too- cant remeber which one though). So I'd say just use that.

JustAnotherNoob

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Reagent grade water is overkill for a watercooling setup.
Pretty much nothing in a watercooling loop is perfectly clean. Even if you rinse/clean everything you will still have softeners slowly leaking out of the tubing into the water.

So the liquid in your watercooling setup is not going to stay electrochemically inert for a very long time, no matter what you do or what type of water you start with. That is why most people use killcoils or additives - to prevent growth of bacteria and algae, and to slow/stop electrochemical corrosion (though that is not a problem if you don't mix metals in the loop - i.e. aluminium reservoir and copper coolers).

The reagent grade water will not damage the components of your watercooling setup, the worst case i can imagine would be "washing out" the softeners in the nonmetallic components quicker.

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I worked in a physics lab and simply used the deionised water from my labs. It's been in my system for nearly 6 months now and not the slightest bit of mould or algae yet (I did use a few drops of an additive too- cant remeber which one though). So I'd say just use that.

Solution

andrew63447

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
the higher quality water is free so the point of it being overkill is moot.

I'll probably end up just filling some sterile containers with the tap from the medica system, wouldn't want to take the stuff the lab has to buy by the bottle, thats bad business