Sign in with
Your question

Wierd Memory BSOD Problem

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 5:18:10 AM

Hello all!

Im new to the forums and i have completely run outt ideas on this dumb problem.

First ill list all the specs and all that good stuff. Its a brand spankin new computer and has been crashing pretty much since the beginning.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MOBO: MSI 785gm-E51
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Dual channel 4GB 1333MHz
HDD: 2 X WD 500GB in Raid 0
PSU: 750 Watts
GPU: 8800 Ultra 768MB
SC: Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic

idk if im missing anything.....

THE PROBLEM........

Ill have my RAM properly configured in dual channel mode in an attempt to boot to the desktop. Either before i get to the desktop or a few minutes after seeing my background, ill get a BSOD related to almost anything. (IRQ_NOT_LESS or w/e, the WINSYS32 or w/e and many others) I also get errors saying Windows is about to restart because it encounter a serious error and a couple other errors that pop-up as soon as i boot up. I first thought it was my raid settings but later realized that games started crashing with memory errors.

So i took this a step further and ran a memory test. I used the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and sure enough, at around 7% i get a hardware error......

At first i was thinking RMA and then i decided to test one RAM module at a time. Both passed with flying colors multiple times.....In fact, both successfully boot to Windows 7 error free again and again.

Now i think its a Dual Channel error so i put my RAM in DIMM's 1+3.....My computer boots and runs fine. I turn my computer off and go to turn it on the next day and i get multiple BSOD again and cant get to my desktop. So just for kicks, i put the RAM back into Dual Channel mode. This setup that wouldnt boot the day before, runs completely fine. lol im so stumped now.

Ive checked most of the obvious stuff. I know the memory controller is built into the CPU so i turned off Cool n Quiet to have max voltage. My CPU core voltage is at a steady 1.4V. I set my RAM in BIOS at what its supposed to be @ 1.5V and i have even tried flashing my BIOS from where it was to Version 2.8 (newest) and then even went backwards to V2.7 with no success.....

The really wierd thing is as soon as i start getting the looping BSOD and the errors, i just turn my PC off. Take a RAM module out, successfully boot to desktop, shut down my PC and then put the second RAM module back in and it boots and runs fine....Explain that one hahaha.

Thank you guys so much in advanced! I got one friend that is vigorously trying to figure this crap out with me and im really close to RMA but i got a feeling that this can be fixed another way. I'll be constantly monitoring this post and greatly appreciate all the help i can get! Thank You!
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 6:53:27 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Well you have tested almost every method, which is good, can you test each stick of your RAM(simultaneously) with memtest for about 4-8hrs ?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 8:12:28 AM

Im going to do that overnight now that you mention it.....There is one thing that kinda scares me though. I dont know if anyone knows about correct voltages but ill post all mine....

AMD OverDrive:

CPU-Vid: 1.4V
NB-Vid: 1.1V
Memory VDDQ: 1.5V
CPU VDDC: 2.040V <---- is that normal?!?!
NB-Core: 1.3V
CPU-NT: 1.3V
Related resources
July 17, 2010 6:25:11 PM

well one thing i can think of, is maybe the system can't handle 1T with 2 modules ( i have seen this problem caused by that before) try making sure it is set to 2T and make sure your timings are set correctly
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 7:14:09 PM

Hard Line said:
well one thing i can think of, is maybe the system can't handle 1T with 2 modules ( i have seen this problem caused by that before) try making sure it is set to 2T and make sure your timings are set correctly

Update:
I have recently changed my RAM settings to 2T last night. RAM timings are set right. I also let 4 individual Memtest programs run at once for 10 hours straight last night and all 4 programs had 0 errors. Maybe it was the 2T setting? idk. But i will let this go for now and give you guys an update soon. It shouldnt take long for my PC to crash or look stable. Thanks for all your help so far.
July 17, 2010 7:26:36 PM

no prob we are glad to help... keep us posted and let us know whether the problem is solved or not.
a b } Memory
July 17, 2010 9:29:56 PM

Let us know how it goes,i hope it'll be fixed.
Sometimes, setting the RAM settings(timings,speed,voltage etc.) solves the problems like instability,BSODS....
July 17, 2010 10:09:15 PM

8gb of 1333 mhz shouldn't be a problem if enough voltage is supplied.
The fact of Command Rate 1 actually booting is proof that it is stable.
Is the RAM voltage @ default? if so raise it to 1.575 as this is the max JEDEC recommends for DDR3 stability.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 18, 2010 12:16:34 AM

l4d said:
8gb of 1333 mhz shouldn't be a problem if enough voltage is supplied.
The fact of Command Rate 1 actually booting is proof that it is stable.
Is the RAM voltage @ default? if so raise it to 1.575 as this is the max JEDEC recommends for DDR3 stability.

Im running a total of 4GB (2X 2GBs) sorry for the confusion....
I have always had the 1T setting but just recently changed it last night and it seems very stable. The voltage is stock @1.5V and i wont touch it until i see some kind of problem again.....so far it seems promising.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 18, 2010 3:18:06 PM

Well.....today i try to boot up my computer that has been off since yesterday and as soon as it gets to the desktop i have no internet connection and then i get a blue screen. I try booting up again and get a different blue screen. On the 3rd try of booting up i get my internet connection but the windows all look like im running windows 98 and i start getting internet explorer crashes and a whole bunch of other memory related crashes that are all unhandled exceptions. So i shut down my computer for the 3rd time and switch one memory module from the 2nd DIMM slot to the 3rd (1st + 3rd DIMMs single channel). Now my PC boots completely fine and acts like it never happened. Now if i want Dual channel back, i simply turn my PC off and move the RAM module back to the 2nd DIMM slot and my PC is fine again......What in the world? lol thx for your help so far guys, this is a toughy.
July 18, 2010 4:20:39 PM

lets try something.. try changing ram frequency to 1066 instead of 1333 and see what happens.. I was searching for ram issues with your board and saw this as a fix..
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 20, 2010 1:12:00 AM

Hard Line said:
lets try something.. try changing ram frequency to 1066 instead of 1333 and see what happens.. I was searching for ram issues with your board and saw this as a fix..

Well after putting the ram to 1066, i still get crashes. My BSOD was winsys.exe. I just turned my PC off and put a RAM module in another slot to fix this however as usuall.....so wierd.

It seems like my computer has to warm up when i start it. I hit the power button for the first time today and it slowly gets louder. Like the fans are getting up to speed. I dont know, maybe its just me.....but this is such a wierd problem. Im close to going RMA but something tells me that its a simple setting still because i can write in forums all day and play games like APB for hours on end with no problems. Its just the initial turn on of the day it seems. Who knows.
July 20, 2010 2:38:25 AM

ok now lets see what this tells us.. go here http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and download it. it's hw monitor. take a reading of your 3.3v, 5v and 12v let us knkow what they look like form cold boot as well as whne you get it to work.. to me it sounds llike PSU or mainboard TBH
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 3:19:23 AM

Hard Line said:
ok now lets see what this tells us.. go here http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and download it. it's hw monitor. take a reading of your 3.3v, 5v and 12v let us knkow what they look like form cold boot as well as whne you get it to work.. to me it sounds llike PSU or mainboard TBH

I installed and ran the program JUST after i received a BSOD and the readings are as follows:

+3.3V = 3.31V
+5V = 3.32V
+12V = 4.4V
July 21, 2010 3:39:31 AM

Quote:
Hello all!

Im new to the forums and i have completely run outt ideas on this dumb problem.

First ill list all the specs and all that good stuff. Its a brand spankin new computer and has been crashing pretty much since the beginning.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MOBO: MSI 785gm-E51
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Dual channel 4GB 1333MHz
HDD: 2 X WD 500GB in Raid 0
PSU: 750 Watts
GPU: 8800 Ultra 768MB
SC: Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic

idk if im missing anything.....

THE PROBLEM........

Ill have my RAM properly configured in dual channel mode in an attempt to boot to the desktop. Either before i get to the desktop or a few minutes after seeing my background, ill get a BSOD related to almost anything. (IRQ_NOT_LESS or w/e, the WINSYS32 or w/e and many others) I also get errors saying Windows is about to restart because it encounter a serious error and a couple other errors that pop-up as soon as i boot up. I first thought it was my raid settings but later realized that games started crashing with memory errors.

So i took this a step further and ran a memory test. I used the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and sure enough, at around 7% i get a hardware error......

At first i was thinking RMA and then i decided to test one RAM module at a time. Both passed with flying colors multiple times.....In fact, both successfully boot to Windows 7 error free again and again.

Now i think its a Dual Channel error so i put my RAM in DIMM's 1+3.....My computer boots and runs fine. I turn my computer off and go to turn it on the next day and i get multiple BSOD again and cant get to my desktop. So just for kicks, i put the RAM back into Dual Channel mode. This setup that wouldnt boot the day before, runs completely fine. lol im so stumped now.

Ive checked most of the obvious stuff. I know the memory controller is built into the CPU so i turned off Cool n Quiet to have max voltage. My CPU core voltage is at a steady 1.4V. I set my RAM in BIOS at what its supposed to be @ 1.5V and i have even tried flashing my BIOS from where it was to Version 2.8 (newest) and then even went backwards to V2.7 with no success.....

The really wierd thing is as soon as i start getting the looping BSOD and the errors, i just turn my PC off. Take a RAM module out, successfully boot to desktop, shut down my PC and then put the second RAM module back in and it boots and runs fine....Explain that one hahaha.

Thank you guys so much in advanced! I got one friend that is vigorously trying to figure this crap out with me and im really close to RMA but i got a feeling that this can be fixed another way. I'll be constantly monitoring this post and greatly appreciate all the help i can get! Thank You!

I would Look at your contacts of your RAM to see if they are fried or dirty and clean them with isoprol Alcohol. Next step would be to maybe underclock your RAM or use less aggressive memory timings. If you put RAM slot in bank 1 and 3 you have problems usually ram needs to be put in Slots 1+2 and 3+4. Check your mainboard manual to see what it has in slots, from my experience at least! Next Step would be to try Check It Diagnostics or a free RAM checker and stress test your RAM to see which Module is defective! Hope this Helps :) 
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 4:49:55 AM

GunBladeType-T said:
I would Look at your contacts of your RAM to see if they are fried or dirty and clean them with isoprol Alcohol. Next step would be to maybe underclock your RAM or use less aggressive memory timings. If you put RAM slot in bank 1 and 3 you have problems usually ram needs to be put in Slots 1+2 and 3+4. Check your mainboard manual to see what it has in slots, from my experience at least! Next Step would be to try Check It Diagnostics or a free RAM checker and stress test your RAM to see which Module is defective! Hope this Helps :) 

Its brand new RAM and it is very sporatic. I'll give ya a summary of what is discussed so far in this topic. My RAM works just fine in 1+2 and 1+3 and even 3+4. but every now and then ill get constant crashes and the only fix is to re-configure what slots i put them in. All slot combinations work, yet all combinations also give me non-stop crashes. All i gotta do is keep rotating to a new setup once i start getting problems and BSOD.

As far as the slower clocks. I havent touched the Timings, but i have put the RAM from a command rate of 1T to 2T and changed the speed from 1333MHz to 1066Mhz. All this with no success.

I ran 4 programs of Memtest all at once and had my CPU maxxed and my RAM as well. I tested all 4 GBs for 10 hours with 0 errors. But if i were to try and test while im getting the crashes, im sure they would fail instantly.

I have gotten errors when using the "Windows Memory diagnostics Tool". But i only got these errors when i knew otherwise that id have a BSOD once i got to the desktop. When i knew i wasnt gunna get a BSOD, this Diagnostics would run just fine and each module checks out individually just fine and runs Windows 7 just fine as well. I even got a crash when i tried to re-install Windows 7 and i was formatting my HDD. I got a BSOD. So its something wierd. Could just be a shitty mobo.....?
July 21, 2010 12:02:01 PM

Quote:
Its brand new RAM and it is very sporatic. I'll give ya a summary of what is discussed so far in this topic. My RAM works just fine in 1+2 and 1+3 and even 3+4. but every now and then ill get constant crashes and the only fix is to re-configure what slots i put them in. All slot combinations work, yet all combinations also give me non-stop crashes. All i gotta do is keep rotating to a new setup once i start getting problems and BSOD.

As far as the slower clocks. I havent touched the Timings, but i have put the RAM from a command rate of 1T to 2T and changed the speed from 1333MHz to 1066Mhz. All this with no success.

I ran 4 programs of Memtest all at once and had my CPU maxxed and my RAM as well. I tested all 4 GBs for 10 hours with 0 errors. But if i were to try and test while im getting the crashes, im sure they would fail instantly.

I have gotten errors when using the "Windows Memory diagnostics Tool". But i only got these errors when i knew otherwise that id have a BSOD once i got to the desktop. When i knew i wasnt gunna get a BSOD, this Diagnostics would run just fine and each module checks out individually just fine and runs Windows 7 just fine as well. I even got a crash when i tried to re-install Windows 7 and i was formatting my HDD. I got a BSOD. So its something wierd. Could just be a shitty mobo.....?

If you have a warranty you can call the mainboard manufacturer. Another thing is if you have a bad power supply it can lead to random errors also check out your voltage too in the mainboard and see how close the 12V 11.85-12.6 5V 4.85-5.15 or 3.3V 3.25-3.35
July 21, 2010 12:31:09 PM

well your 12v rail is not showing correctly.. can you go into bios and verify those numbers are correct, if they are, then your power supply is bad and needs to be replaced.... what brand model and wattage is it?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 21, 2010 8:43:04 PM

Hard Line said:
well your 12v rail is not showing correctly.. can you go into bios and verify those numbers are correct, if they are, then your power supply is bad and needs to be replaced.... what brand model and wattage is it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 22, 2010 12:51:15 AM

Hard Line said:
ok 700 watts with 2 12v rails at 18 amps each honestly that isn't that great imo.. this is the one I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... has 4 12v rails at 18 amps each most of the power on your PSU is on the 5 and 3.3v rails which are barely used in modern pcs

Do you really think its a PSU issue? ill have to wait till i get paid again to go out and buy a new one and it wont be that much of a problem for me....But i think i may just go ahead and replace this cheap mobo as well haha.....

Would you guys narrow this issue down to the mobo and/or PSU? What should i do from here now that ive tried everything yall have said so far? Thanks a lot guys.
July 22, 2010 1:19:29 AM

if you have another psu so you don't have to buy one that would be better than buying and dealing with restocking fee or even a friend with one...;)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 22, 2010 6:59:11 AM

Hard Line said:
if you have another psu so you don't have to buy one that would be better than buying and dealing with restocking fee or even a friend with one...;)

My voltages in BIOS are:
+3.3V = 3.312V
+5V = 5.016V
+12V = 12.232V

Sooo they're good?
July 22, 2010 11:56:19 AM

interesting..voltages look ok in bios. however not in windows. although the apps can sometimes read incorrectly. for example, hwmonitor and speed fan see my 12v rails running at 1.03v which would cause me all kinds of issues. still my next step would be to try using a dif power supply and see if that fixes your issues. if not then i would say mainboard or ram. have you tried testing with only 1 stick of ram at a time?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 22, 2010 10:15:00 PM

Hard Line said:
interesting..voltages look ok in bios. however not in windows. although the apps can sometimes read incorrectly. for example, hwmonitor and speed fan see my 12v rails running at 1.03v which would cause me all kinds of issues. still my next step would be to try using a dif power supply and see if that fixes your issues. if not then i would say mainboard or ram. have you tried testing with only 1 stick of ram at a time?

Yes. using just one RAM module works just fine. Both modules work fine when used by themselves.....
July 22, 2010 10:23:34 PM

Quote:
Yes. using just one RAM module works just fine. Both modules work fine when used by themselves.....

you say they work fine by themselves.. did you run memtest on them? if so.. then 10:1 it's your mainboard
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 23, 2010 4:08:45 AM

Hard Line said:
you say they work fine by themselves.. did you run memtest on them? if so.. then 10:1 it's your mainboard

Memtest is just fine with them. they both check out when ran idividually. I guess i just shouldnt be such a chump and be sucha budget whore with my mobo this time around lol......ill prolly be updating my system within 2 weeks so ill keep yall posted.....
!