Will a 400w psu burn out my hard drive

G

i have just put in a g31 s eries gigabyte mb and a e7400 @2.8 overclocked to 3.1 and am running a pny gforce 9500gt 512 mb, i have just bought a xfx hd4650 1gb and its minimum req is 400w psu which i have now purchased but im worried wont it burn out my dvd burner and hard drive that much power????

damien12g

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
i have just put in a g31 s eries gigabyte mb and a e7400 @2.8 overclocked to 3.1 and am running a pny gforce 9500gt 512 mb, i have just bought a xfx hd4650 1gb and its minimum req is 400w psu which i have now purchased but im worried wont it burn out my dvd burner and hard drive that much power????

No!

Power doesnt flow the way you and many other people seem to think it does.

The PSU does not push power into the components, it provides a constant voltage and the components draw from it as much current as they need, as long as you have a decent PSU that keeps the voltages within spec you wont burn out anything as they only draw as much as they need from it. The wattage rating on the PSU refers to how much can be drawn from it without its components overheating.

Too much power doesn't burn out components....too little does when PSU self destructs

Power supplies are not rated for a constant amount of power that they force into your computer. They are rated for a constant voltage and a maximum power. Components cannot tell the difference between a 200W and a 20kW PSU as long as the components draw less than 200W. They will just see the PSU as a voltage source, and draw as much power as they need. The only difference between the 200W and 20kW PSU is that if your components draw more than 200W, the 200W PSU could shut down, go out of spec, or even destroy itself trying to supply >200W, while the 20kW PSU will happily continue along.

This also means that if you went out and bought a huge, 2kW PSU for your computer and then hooked it up to a power meter, it would likely only be pulling a couple hundred watts under full load. This is because your computer is only using as much power as it needs, regardless of PSU size.