Sign in with
Your question

$1,000 System for Home Photo and Video Editing

Last response: in Systems
December 26, 2009 3:49:48 PM

Good Morning,

Would like some advice on this build.

I have built 2 systems before -- the last one was approx. 4 years ago -- so I consider myself a novice.

I am building a system for a friend. It will be used for -- surfing the internet, office applications, listening to music (itunes), watching videos (youtube), and (amateur) photo and video editing.

Comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!

TIMEFRAME: ASAP

BUDGET: $1,000 (willing to spend additional $250 - $350 for Keyboard, Monitor, and Mouse)

PREFERRED WEB SITE(S): plan to purchase everything from newegg.com

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE:

1.) Is a 'PC Building Toolkit' necessary or will a standard screwdriver and socket set suffice?

2.) If you want to setup automatic nightly backup, do you need two hard drives? (I believe one alternative would be online backup... any thoughts on this?)

3.) Do I need any special ports / cards to connect a digital camera? (or does the video card and/or motherboard have what I need?)

4.) I believe the hdd is a "bare drive" -- what exactly does that mean? Do I need to order an additional cable?

5.) Can I order the 'OEM' version of the operating system?

6.) Are there any known compatability issues with Windows 7 64-bit? (specifically interested to know if Office 2003 will work)

CURRENT CONFIGURATION:

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

POWER SUPPLY: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bare Drive

VIDEO: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

OPTICAL: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

December 26, 2009 3:53:34 PM

One more question:

7.) Do I need to add a heat sink and fan and thermal paste? (I do not intend to overclock this system)

Thanks!
m
l
December 26, 2009 4:18:41 PM

Wanted to compare with a Dell. This configuration is $1,359. (including wireless keyboard and mouse and 23" full HD widescreen LCD monitor)

Build or buy?? What do you all think?? :-)

PROCESSORS Studio XPS 8000, Intel® Core™ i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit

OFFICE SOFTWARE No Productivity software pre-installed edit

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.

SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter , 24-Months edit

MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs edit

HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit

OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable + 16x DVD-ROM Drive edit

MONITOR 23" Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor edit

VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB edit

SOUND CARD Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio edit

SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit

KEYBOARD Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse edit

MOUSE Mouse included with Keyboard purchase edit

m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2009 5:24:45 PM

Obviously if you build the system, it will save him money, but it involves lots of headache. Whenever there’s a problem with it, his going to call you up, so I recommend buying ready build with 2-3 years warranty. Make sure the warranty is for parts and labour.

Take the MacAfee out is a waste of money, let him use Microsoft Security essentials. Also for backup purposes getting 2 500GB [7200 rpm] Hard drive is better than 1 TB.

m
l
December 26, 2009 5:31:27 PM

Couple of things:

1.) McAfee seems to be included in the price -- Dell will not let me remove it. My only option is to increase the subscription to 36 months.

2.) The total price (for the individual componentss) on newegg.com is $1,300. The price for the Dell is $1,359. Since the Dell has twice as much memory and a larger hard drive... I don't consider this a real savings. What happened to saving money by building it yourself?

Am I doing something wrong?? Did I drink too much egg nog?? :-)

m
l
December 26, 2009 5:33:37 PM

The above Dell has a graphics card that was weak even when it was released. Right now it's absolute junk. But none of the things you listed (you don't game, do you?) requires a beastly graphics card.

Well, the main thing to say for the homebuilt one is that it has a quality PSU, which is crucial. It also has a great graphics card and is friendlier on the budget (oh btw, should you take the homebuilt, get a Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12 HDD, they're a lot faster than the WD one).

Basically, I'd say to do it yourself, but if you're not in the mood for a lot of work or are rather afraid by the big bad components, the Dell will make you happy.
m
l
December 26, 2009 5:48:23 PM

gfergo said:
Couple of things:

1.) McAfee seems to be included in the price -- Dell will not let me remove it. My only option is to increase the subscription to 36 months.

2.) The total price (for the individual componentss) on newegg.com is $1,300. The price for the Dell is $1,359. Since the Dell has twice as much memory and a larger hard drive... I don't consider this a real savings. What happened to saving money by building it yourself?

Am I doing something wrong?? Did I drink too much egg nog?? :-)

If we look,we can save him money, but as I said since it's not for yourself you will get into headaches after headaches. I been there, I done it many times, i gain nothing but headaches. Now I just recommend good brands with long warranty.
m
l
December 26, 2009 5:55:08 PM

Silmarunya said:
The above Dell has a graphics card that was weak even when it was released. Right now it's absolute junk. But none of the things you listed (you don't game, do you?) requires a beastly graphics card.

Well, the main thing to say for the homebuilt one is that it has a quality PSU, which is crucial. It also has a great graphics card and is friendlier on the budget (oh btw, should you take the homebuilt, get a Samsung F3 or Seagate 7200.12 HDD, they're a lot faster than the WD one).

Basically, I'd say to do it yourself, but if you're not in the mood for a lot of work or are rather afraid by the big bad components, the Dell will make you happy.

Hi,

I can switch to this video card for $130. What do you think? Is it worth it?

nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3

m
l
December 26, 2009 6:01:14 PM

ibnsina said:
Also for backup purposes getting 2 500GB [7200 rpm] Hard drive is better than 1 TB.

Hi,

The Dell web site offers these hard drive options:

1.) 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0 Gb/s (single drive) -- INCLUDED

2.) 1 TB "performance" RAID 0 (2 x 500 GB drives) -- $40 LESS

3.) 1 TB "data security" RAID 1 (2 x 1 TB drives) -- $200 MORE

Any thoughts??
m
l
December 26, 2009 9:59:12 PM

Go for

2.) 1 TB "performance" RAID 0 (2 x 500 GB drives) -- $40 LESS

but make sure its 7200 rpm hard drive.

Since his not gaming, the gpu is ok, dont waste any money.

How much extra for blueray drive (player)?
m
l
December 26, 2009 10:08:49 PM

Also, as most manufacturers, including dell, add all kinds of annoying software, help him uninstall useless packages he won't need
m
l
December 26, 2009 11:06:25 PM

ibnsina said:
How much extra for blueray drive (player)?

Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW [add $200]

m
l
December 26, 2009 11:11:38 PM

Can anyone answer these specific questions?

1.) If you want to setup automatic nightly backup, do you need two hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration

(I believe one alternative would be online backup... the Dell system includes 2GB for 1 year... any thoughts on this?)

2.) Do I need any special ports / cards to connect a digital camera? (or does the video card and/or motherboard have what I need?)

3.) I believe the hdd is a "bare drive" -- what exactly does that mean? Do I need to order an additional cable?

4.) Can I order the 'OEM' version of the operating system?

Thank you!

m
l
December 27, 2009 7:31:25 AM

I said blueray player not burner.

Answers to your questions.

1. The right way is to have 2 hard drives for backups. Raid is one option; you can also use Windows Backup. (You can use online back, but if your internet connection goes down, then you’re in trouble, and its slow process).

2. Most Digital camera has USB or fire wire (IEEE 1394) connections. USB is standard on PC’s, just make sure it has IEEE 1394.

3. Bare drive means, it will not come with any cable/CD software. The Motherboard should come with necessary cables.

4. Yes you can Order OEM windows.

m
l
December 27, 2009 1:20:03 PM

ibnsina said:
I said blueray player not burner.

Sorry! Looks like it is about $80 less than the burner.

m
l
December 27, 2009 3:33:27 PM

gfergo said:
Sorry! Looks like it is about $80 less than the burner.

So you going for the dell? Whats the final spec and price?
m
l
!