Zune 30 i7 or Radeon 5770 Problem ?

agapenet

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
O.K., Brand new build using Intel i7-860. First off, love the system! One glitch – Zune 30 causes VERY slow POST and performance problems if I boot with the Zune device connected. Once in Windows, 2D graphics benchmarks 3X faster, but system is unstable and slow. Normal boot and performance without Zune attached.
ASUS graciously replaced the mobo, which solved an Express Gate problem, but the Zune problem has not gone away. All other USB devices play fine.
Configuration:
P7P55D Premium
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750 Watt Power Supply
Kingston 64 GB SSDNow V Series SATA Boot Drive
Sapphire 100283L Radeon HD 5770 GPU
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield LGA 1156 Quad Core CPU
WD 15EADS 1.5 TB SATA
Seagate LP ST3200542AS 2 TB SATA
Rosewell RCR-IM5001 USB 2.0 75 in 1 Card Reader w/ eSATA Port
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2X2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory
LG GH22LS50 SATA LightScribe DVD

Note – Problem begins during POST when Zune is attached, so it’s not an OS problem. Suspect a conflict between the Zune and the Sapphire Radeon HD 5770.

Anybody else having similiar problems? Anybody found a solution?

Solution
I think the reason the problem is not becoming clear is because the problems lies not in the Zune, but an underlying Mobo/chipset driver problems that emerges only when the Zune is connected.

agapenet

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for your post

Yes, I mean a Zune 30 on a system with an i7-860 CPU.

The problem only happens when the Zune 30 is plugged in at boot time, and it does cause the gpu to behave strangely.

agapenet

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
That's what I thought. P7P55D Premium is relatively new to the market, but it's intel P55 Chipset is supposed to be solid. Anyhow, I already changed the mobo, and the problem is still here.

Looking at the P55 diagram, it's easier to see how a bios pr driver problem on the GPU can affect the USB.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17513

I cant imagine I'm the only one having this problem. Is anyone else having a P55 / USB problem?

I can't see anything in that diagram that would make you think that, the opposite if anything. What are you referring to?
It sounds like you replaced the board with the same model so that's not really trying a different board. It just means it likely wasn't a manufacturing error specifically involving the first board.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I think the reason the problem is not becoming clear is because the problems lies not in the Zune, but an underlying Mobo/chipset driver problems that emerges only when the Zune is connected.

Solution

agapenet

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I think you are on track. More investigation reveals the Intel P55 Chipset, as released, has had BIOS problems with with iPods as well. Gigabyte appears to have their BIOS fixed. Asus said to try them back in mid January. By the way, loaded Dec 9 BIOS for this mobo and it is much more stable. Will test the Zune problem on next boot.

agapenet

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
O.K.
Asus is on the right track with the Dec BIOS release, but no cigar yet. Booting with the Zune attached no longer hangs up the POST, but, it now causes the BIOS to lose my boot drive altogether.

Disconnected the Zune, reassigned all hard drives in the BIOS, and the system came back on fine.

BTW - Somewhere after the new BIOS install, one of the (2) on-board LAN adapters disappeared, can’t manually install it, system won’t find it – It’s just gone, as if it weren’t installed. Tried disabling then enabling it in the BIOS – Nothing.

This brings up another issue – Can’t make the Realtek Teaming work (At least I couldn’t before the second LAN adapter disappeared). This is true for mobo #1 and #2

Did I mention Zune works fine on every other machine I tested it on?

Apparently still a P55 Chipset / BIOS problem

Come on Asus - Let's get it together!