• New Build
  • Cases
  • Corsair
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
December 26, 2009 4:07:28 PM

hi guys, after looking at reviews etc i have picked up to know couple of cases what case would you think i should get as a newbie builder?

antec p183
corsair (monster)
lian li a71f
zalman hs1000

i love the corsair but it does not do well with air cooling, i dont want to go to water cooling as yet!
cheers
mark

More about : case newbie

Anonymous
December 26, 2009 5:30:36 PM

i am not a gamer i dont like the look of gaming pc`s, hence my choices!
i do photography, storage is the main thing and memory!
Related resources
December 26, 2009 5:35:47 PM

Of the ones you listed, the Antec P183 will be the best price/performance wise, and I'd put the Zalman last.

However, do you need such expensive cases? Premium cases offer little benefit over better middle class ones like the CM 690 or HAF 922, Antec 600 or 900 and so on. The money saved can be better spent elsewhere (or simply saved).
December 26, 2009 5:37:36 PM

The Antec Three Hundred doesn't look like a "gaming rig" to me. It looks like a very simple (basic) black steel case.

At $55 it seems like an excellent choice for a basic system.
December 26, 2009 5:41:48 PM

gfergo said:
The Antec Three Hundred doesn't look like a "gaming rig" to me. It looks like a very simple (basic) black steel case.

At $55 it seems like an excellent choice for a basic system.

You nailed it. The 300 is cheap and simple yet offers all the features you need in a simple design and compact size. It's an excellent case if you don't want to break benchmarking records and/or don't want a mini-disco standing on your desk. I like it a lot for lower end PC's.
December 26, 2009 5:51:55 PM

When you use the side-by-side compare feature on newegg.com, it looks like the P183 costs twice as much (more actually) and weighs twice as much (30 pounds versus 15 pounds).

Seems like you are paying a lot for noise reduction.

If you need something EXTREMELY QUIET and you don't mind paying the extra $85, go for it!

But if you want more "Bang For Your Buck" then it seems like the Antec Three Hundred is the way to go! :-)

December 26, 2009 5:56:02 PM

The P183 is a fantastic case....one of the best things about it is that you can put CPX form factor PSU's in it. Put a CP-850 in there and you're golden.
!