Best SSD for sabertooth X58

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys,
I have a sabertooth x58 board and was just wondering what the best SSD is for it... I've heard some ssd work better on the marvell sata adapter then other.. just wanted to get some other peoples opinion.. I'd like to keep it sata 3 if possible thanks

The Intel 510 is a fairly stable and reliable solid state drive. Early this year when solid state drives equipped with SandForce controllers developed major issues, the 510 was viewed as an excellent alterantive. The only problem was gamers and enthusiasts did not like the 510's synthetic benchmarks. On the other hand web sites like AnandTech and other review sites recommended the 510. The synthetic benchmarks don't always reflect real world performance. Then an issue developed related to sudden power outages. Intel issued a firmware update to solve the problem.

The Intel 520 series is the successor to the 510. Originally it was thought the new ssd's would be released last month. That did not happen. Some sites like The SSD Review recently published articles indicating the release was imminent. Other sites published articles indicating Intel delayed release until the first quarter of 2012. There is quite a bit of speculation and unsubstantiated rumor that the new 520 would use a SandForce controller. Intel has remained silent about the matter.

In the meantime, Samsung staged a major coup. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Recently Samsung released their new 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. Although the ssd has only been available to consumers for a few months it looks like Samsung got it right again.

The Corsair Force 3 ssd's use the same Sandforce 2281 controller that is inside the ADATA S511, OCZ Agility 3, and Vertex 3 drives.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Wow thanks a lot ! im just trying to find the drive that will perform the best with the marvell controller on the sabertooth x58 so it does look like the m4 is one of my best bets interms of reliability and compatibility for my mobo right?

Yes, the Crucial m4 is popular with gamers and enthusiasts. The m4 also developed an issue but Crucial issued a firmware update that not only fixed the issue but also boosted performance. That made the m4 even more popular. If you decide to purchase an m4 it should already have the newest firmware.

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
alright thats sweet ! that site you have is awesome btw! everything anyone could ever need thanks ! and I was a little worried on updating the firmware but if it come updated i should be good then ! do you know by chance if it come with drive bay adapters?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070-6.html

Looking at the above, the fastest 120 giggers are in tier 3

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB
Patriot WildFire 120 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB

The speculation on the 520's is based upon the fact that if ya look at Intel's published road map "you will see the SSD sizes match that of only SandForce Driven’ SSDs."

http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz/intel-ssd-520-series-sandforce-driven-sata-3-ssd-release-imminent-as-we-said-all-along/

bc0203

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

I went with the Samsung 830, based on the reviews and their reputation with OEM vendors for reliability. (Use the same Mobo as you, but with a i7-960CPU.)

ronaldr89

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

How is it working out for you? I have the same mobo and i7-960 too. But my speeds are a little low. Around 377Mb/s is there anything you recommend to improve the performance?