Sign in with
Your question

Problem sharing folders on a network, but only to certain computers

Last response: in Networking
December 13, 2009 1:49:19 PM

Can I set the home computers to only share with certain other computers? I have 1 laptop, and 3 desktops. I want them to be able to share access to each others drives. But if I have a guest, I want them to be able to access the internet, but not those drives. How would I do that? Permissions? Any details on where to start? Thanks for any help!
December 13, 2009 3:03:53 PM

Presuming that Internet access is through a switch, just don't provide the guest with the user name/password to connect to the shares.
December 14, 2009 1:06:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm not sure what you mean. I have my network setup as it is. The computers can see each other, share folders, etc. I just didn't know how to exclude someone from the file sharing who comes over with a laptop.
Related resources
December 14, 2009 1:12:46 AM

How do you protect your shares? Do you use passwords or were all users (or the single user) created without passwords? If no password is used and the guest is provided the user name, then he has access to all shares.
December 26, 2009 12:48:23 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I'm going to try and set it up with passwords. Thanks for the info.
!